Cyclist "hit and run" Daily Mail bum gravy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
re:

I recommend you all read this book :

"Flat Earth News : An Award-winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media" by Nick Davies.

Talk about an eye opener! :laugh:

ChrisKH

Guru
Tynan said:
the mother in law reads it and comes out with the most ridiculous nonsense that she reads in it, mostly about immigrants raping and stabbing and sponging our benefits

I flicked through a copy and genuinely found it detestable, I tried to ban it from the house

Scary. So does my mil. I get a half hour lecture on the economy/Northern Rock/Immigrants/Gypsies/Sponging one parent families/Pavement Riding Cyclists/Interest rates/Scabby Politicians/Paedophiles/Pensions/The Greenhouse effect - what a load of old cobblers......(delete as required) every time I see her. I used to proffer rational opposition but as I said to her daughter she is probably mentally ill and I should really feel pity.

LLB

jamesgibby said:
I have known the background to two stories printed in the mail they were both reported incorrectly. Have not believed a word they printed since, I regard it as a comic rather than a news paper. I assume it is bought by people who are too embarrassed to buy children’s comics any more.

Unless anyone knows the story first hand, it is all subject to speculation.
The Story was first published in the Gloucestershire Echo (cheltenham) and Citizen (gloucester). Both papers are owned by the Mail and act as feeders for the mails stories. The Mail seems to be a couple of days behind the Echo and use these stories as fillers.

The road where the accident happened (St Pauls St South) was blocked off 20 years ago with bollards at the High St end of it to stop motor traffic cutting across into the lower high street (just above the blue car in the link). It is 'cycle access' through there and she wasn't doing anything untoward in light of the later info (I live less than a mile from it)

I am very disappointed that the Echo chose to say it was a hit and run as feelings were running high last week. I spoke to some cycle campaigners at the weekend (before it was revealed that the rider had stopped) who were running a promo for cycle week and they came across as feeling a bit under seige :laugh:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...3442,-2.079672&spn=0.000279,0.000675&t=h&z=20

I'd love to meet Dave from Basingstoke who gave the DM his feedback, he has a great idea, quote "There was a campaign a few years ago to ban cow bars on 4x4s. How about a campaign to make bicycles more pedestrian friendly. Some sort of crumple zone in front of the front wheel for a start, and enclosed spokes on the wheels."

Are these people really that thick?

BTW, there's no need to answer that.

Mr Pig

When I was in my teens I smacked a kid right up into the air when he jumped out in front of me. He burst his face open but in those days people didn't call the police or lawyers every time there was a accident. I walked the kid to his house, told his dad what had happened and I never heard another thing about it.

I’ve just noticed that the whole report in The Daily Hail hasn’t considered the possible effect of such cycling incidents on the value of local properties – is this some sort of record for the DM? I think we should be told.

LLB

TwickenhamCyclist said:
I’ve just noticed that the whole report in The Daily Hail hasn’t considered the possible effect of such cycling incidents on the value of local properties – is this some sort of record for the DM? I think we should be told.
St Pauls is on the cheaper end of the scale due to a mix of council, ethnic & student bedsits. I very much doubt it will make any difference.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

joebe said:
I'd love to meet Dave from Basingstoke who gave the DM his feedback, he has a great idea, quote "There was a campaign a few years ago to ban cow bars on 4x4s. How about a campaign to make bicycles more pedestrian friendly. Some sort of crumple zone in front of the front wheel for a start, and enclosed spokes on the wheels."

Are these people really that thick?

BTW, there's no need to answer that.

Dave from Basingstoke is as thick as Barry White's shoot on Boxing Day.

I think Dave from Basingstoke typifies for me the sort of cretin that reads the DM and takes it all as gospel –

I’d also wager he probably texted his message to the DM , in between slurps of Coke and bites of a Gingsters Pasty while driving his pathetically large 4x4 too fast and right up the arse of some poor family.

LLB

TwickenhamCyclist said:
I think Dave from Basingstoke typifies for me the sort of cretin that reads the DM and takes it all as gospel –

I’d also wager he probably texted his message to the DM , in between slurps of Coke and bites of a Gingsters Pasty while driving his pathetically large 4x4 too fast and right up the arse of some poor family.

Where does he say he drives one ?

OP
OP
S

spindrift

TwickenhamCyclist said:

The fact that the story is radically different from the first pack of lies The Mail printed but the comments were left on that link is hilarious, Dave from basingstoke and all those other twunts are commenting on an entirely different story!

I can feel a PCC email coming on.....

Top Bottom