Cyclist killed Kingsland Road, Hackney

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Yesterday morning I think, from richard on hackney Cycling email:

I crossed the junction going west at about 0845 this morning. There were
community beat officers on each corner of the junction enforcing the
ASLs whilst cyclists were waiting at their stop lines.
I then went into the security gate makers to obtain a quote; on my exit
from their premises a woman approached me with her bike and said there
had been "a terrible accident--a cyclist trapped between the rear wheels
of a lorry".
I went to investigate. The lorry was on the southern side of the
junction facing southbound along Kingsland Road. I'm not sure if it had
turned left out of Middleton Road--perhaps not, because of the limited
headroom. The cyclist was clearly visible under the lorry, his (a man's
bike) bent and broken, his white saddle lying on the ground where it had
been broken off.
The Police were quickly on the scene, so were two fire tenders. It
quickly became apparent that the cyclist had been killed.
I asked an officer if I should put out an appeal for
witnesses--actually, there appeared to be plenty. Nonetheless, if anyone
did witness the crash this morning, please do make contact with the
Police as soon as possible.
It is not clear whether the lorry had turned left or was going straight
ahead. From its position in the carriageway it looks like it had turned
left--it was over towards the nearside as if going into the bus lane,
which it would not have been if going straight ahead--it would have been
further out.

Tynan

Veteran
Used to be one of my old routes

may very well be my new route in the near future

:smile:

Very sad. This just highlights the need for the HGV campaign. Both drivers and cyclists need to be as aware of this risks as possible.

jamie johnson

A woman cyclist has died in a collision with lorry on the Victoria Park Road roundabout during the rush hour this morning (10 March).

London Ambulance Service paramedics attended a traffic accident involving a bicycle and a tipper truck shortly after 8.30am today at the junction between Lauriston Road and Victoria Park Road in South Hackney.

A 27-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The lorry driver was taken to hospital suffering from shock.

The accident has caused severe delays affecting the A1205 between Lauriston Road and Hackney Wick as commuters rushed to work this morning.

Lauriston Road is still closed both ways between A106 Victoria Park Road and Morpeth Road.

Alan Whicker

Another tragedy. That'll be why the entrance to Victoria Park Road had a Police road block this morning. I did wonder if something like that had happened. So many HGVs and lorries round there with the Olympic site.

chap

Veteran
Another tragedy.

Is there any centralised collated store of HGV routes? This is a big problem in London and, without lowering the tone through distastefully using a death to mark a point, it does not appear to be effectively being dealt with therefore perhaps this calls for some form of collective marking of dangerous routes.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi chap

the routes with fatalities RTA etc do get marked, Origamist posted something not long ago.

Another person killed. Sobering.

Must pick up the thread for the HGV campaign once things are less hectic

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
“A woman cyclist has died in a collision with lorry on the Victoria Park Road roundabout during the rush hour this morning (10 March).
London Ambulance Service paramedics attended a traffic accident involving a bicycle and a tipper truck shortly after 8.30am today at the junction between Lauriston Road and Victoria Park Road in South Hackney.
A 27-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The lorry driver was taken to hospital suffering from shock.”
No details of the company involved.
Why are these lorries being used in the rush hour?

A tipper truck. There's a surprise. If this turns out to be serving the Olympics then CML have a death on their hands. They were asked to take steps to stop this from happening and they refused.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
dellzeqq said:
A tipper truck. There's a surprise. If this turns out to be serving the Olympics then CML have a death on their hands. They were asked to take steps to stop this from happening and they refused.

That's the thing, tipper trucks and none arctics are the ones that are usually involved in fatalities.

Top Bottom