Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

http://www.uxbridgeg...13046-28319437/

Another sad story - maybe not a commuter. I am surprised he was actually on the A40 in that area - I drive along there regularly and it's fast and busy (max speed 50 at Polish War Memorial). There is a separate cycleway on one side. The article doesn't give many details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
RIP

Norm

I didn't think too much of riding that section with 998cc of Japanese engine on my bike, I'd avoid it completely on any HPV. :sad:

RIP.

I see those poor drivers were held up again according to the "news" report :angry:
I bet someone's tea went cold too

I also wonder whether it happened as reported - "the cyclist collided with the van"

RIP

bikenetic

I passed the scene on my bicycle probably about an hour after it happened on the cycle path that runs parallel to the A40.

The police said that the guy who was hit was was riding on the actual A40 which is a motorway standard road why would he do that when there is a cycle path just metres from the road.

It is always very sad and tragic when someone loses their life but we must take our own safety seriously and not take unnecessary risks, I didn't see the accident and I don't know the circumstances but I know that it wouldn't have happened if he had been on the cycle path.

We as cyclists are to often seen as risk taking idiots riding straight through red traffic lights and scattering pedestrians on pavements we really must improve our image.

Pisquee

Regular
I don't know the circumstances but I know that it wouldn't have happened if he had been on the cycle path.

enough said

GrasB

Veteran
Good news on this one, well as best as you can get considering that a man lost his life! Lets hope the sentence is also damning to the driver.

I didn't see the accident and I don't know the circumstances but I know that it wouldn't have happened if he had been on the cycle path.
enough said
Sure lets put blame on the one person who can't have any say in the matter! For crying out loud, the road is where cyclists should be! The fact the motorists have make roads that cyclists have a legal right to use no go areas due to lack of attention in their driving something that is reprehensible in my opinion. It also shows that the Police service* is failing to do it's job with regard to keeping people safe

* I wish to make this absolutely clear; I'm not saying police officers aren't doing their job, it's the service along with the courts as a whole which is failing the general population. I have respect for officers & believe it's the politicians & civil servants directing the police service who are the root cause of the problems.

Camrider

Such a tragedy, as they all are! :sad:

Took exactly a year to come to trial. What kind of sentence can he expect: 9 months suspended?

These are the sentencing guidelines.

i) No aggravating circumstances – twelve months to two years' imprisonment (previously 18 months);
ii) Intermediate culpability - two to four and a half years' imprisonment (previously 3 years);
iii) Higher culpability – four and a half to seven years' imprisonment (previously 5 years);
iv) Most serious culpability – seven to fourteen years' imprisonment (previous starting point of 6 years).

So he should get a minimum of 12 months, although the Telegraph reports that the fat WVM was convicted of causing death by careless driving so it could be less than this.

Top Bottom