Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
RIP and only 32 very sad

David_widnes

Veteran
So sad yet another cyclist wont be going home tonight.

Sooner or later there must be larger penalties for causing this type of accident.

VamP

Banned
Legislators should look at Dutch laws regarding cyclist death and injury.

Attitude of Dutch drivers to cyclists is night and day compared to drivers in the UK.

This is all very sad :sad:

Camgreen

So sad yet another cyclist wont be going home tonight.

Sooner or later there must be larger penalties for causing this type of accident.

Reading the article at face value here, as things stand, there is no suggestion that the Refuse vehicle driver is actually at fault, merely that he is "helping the police with enquiries".

I agree that where anyone is guilty the penalties should be stiffer where it has been proved that the perpetrator has been negligent or reckless; at present we don't know that this has been the case in this instance.

RIP fellow Rider and may the Lord bless your family in this sad time.
This happens all too often and espcially here in SA, the penalties imposed are a crime in itself. Only once penalties are properly imposed, will all road users act in a responsible manner, may that day come sooner rather than later.

abo

:sad:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
And another cyclist/HGV death in London this morning:
http://www.fulhamchr...82029-28599271/

It is always sad to see these, and I feel for their families.

From the picture in the news report, this one is most certainly here. Looking around there on Streetview, I can't help being surprised that an HGV was driving down there at all. Of course, we don't know the circumstances of this incident yet, but perhaps it might be more evidence of a need to restrict speeds to 20mph in residential areas and to restrict the movement of HGVs in such places.

Coco

Reading the article at face value here, as things stand, there is no suggestion that the Refuse vehicle driver is actually at fault, merely that he is "helping the police with enquiries".

I agree that where anyone is guilty the penalties should be stiffer where it has been proved that the perpetrator has been negligent or reckless; at present we don't know that this has been the case in this instance.
+1
Condolences to the families none the less.

abo

and to restrict the movement of HGVs in such places.

Not saying anything else about the story and playing devils advocate... but how will they collect the bins if they stop bin lorries from getting down the street? They, like everyone else on the roads, need to watch WTF they're doing but while people are on the phone, distracted by this and that, not looking beyond the end of their bonnet or just not giving two shoots nothing will change.

I had an arguement with someone the other day after a local kid was knocked down. He said he wasn't surprised as the amount of times he's had to 'slam all on' due to kids running out into that bit of road and it was notorious. It is a long straight road, wide verges, never any cars parked and no street furniture or other obstacles for kids to dart out from behind. So basically, if he knew kids were likely to run out into that road there should be no need for emergency stops as he will have seen them well in advance, remembered they might run out and adjusted his driving accordingly. Or did he switch off on that road with it being long straight and boring? Or was he just a shoot driver?

Here is the street:
The street

Hmm, it never goes down well when you criticise someone elses driving...

Sorry, turned into a bit of a long post

Top Bottom