Cyclists Make Better Shoppers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

The downside is that I bought a couple of Pizzas in town on friday evening on my cycle, but was then left with the dilemma of having to either walk them home as I couldn't carry them and cycle safely (they would have ended up cold), or go home and get the car to carry them (mental note to get a rack fitted)

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
spindrift said:
What was The Times article about cyclists being higher earners?

Don't remember that one Dom, sorry - I have a vague recollection of some Future Publishing research with the average incomes of the Cycling Plus readership cropping up somewhere.

I think the points from the European research referenced above were that;

1) Prioritising foot, public, and cycle transport in the studied areas made them more pleasant, hence more people wanted to shop there (increased sales).
2) As people on cycles, public transport and foot can carry less in one go, they made more frequent trips - whilst their per trip spending was (sometimes) less than that of motorists, over the same period they spent more.
3) The idea that people "needed" their cars to carry lots of purchases home was largely a fallacy (most motorists leaving with less than two bags of shopping, as I recall).

spindrift

John the Monkey said:
Don't remember that one Dom, sorry - I have a vague recollection of some Future Publishing research with the average incomes of the Cycling Plus readership cropping up somewhere.

I think the points from the European research referenced above were that;

1) Prioritising foot, public, and cycle transport in the studied areas made them more pleasant, hence more people wanted to shop there (increased sales).
2) As people on cycles, public transport and foot can carry less in one go, they made more frequent trips - whilst their per trip spending was (sometimes) less than that of motorists, over the same period they spent more.
3) The idea that people "needed" their cars to carry lots of purchases home was largely a fallacy (most motorists leaving with less than two bags of shopping, as I recall).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2500754.ece

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
snorri said:
Typical attitude of the unimaginative petrolhead.;)

Come now, no need for that.

I think pizza via bike is doable, but I'd have to be on my shops bike (the one with the rack).

Subway would be easy though - you could whack two or three in each jersey pocket :biggrin:

LLB

snorri said:
Typical attitude of the unimaginative petrolhead.:biggrin:

Arrogant attitude there ;)

They supplied no bags to carry them flat off handlebars, and I didn't have anything suitable on me to carry them in.

It was collection only, and a good 20 minute walk = cold food

I don't have rack on my bike

You can't stack fresh pizza's on their sides so they couldn't go into my rucksack

I await your considered input for a solution Snorri ?

snorri

Legendary Member
LLB said:
I await your considered input for a solution Snorri ?

There are numerous solutions as you well know. You have been trying to justify the "need" of car ownership and usage for years now, but your arguments become no more convincing.

LLB

snorri said:
There are numerous solutions as you well know. You have been trying to justify the "need" of car ownership and usage for years now, but your arguments become no less convincing.

Any chance of a list of them for my particular predicament given the circumstances I described ?

It would have saved me another 2 journeys - I am genuinely interested to know (the carrier is an obvious one, but I don't have one on my hybrid), and you don't see many roadies with them either - come to think of it, I rarely see many with mudguards let alone anything else.

LLB

snorri said:
Have a go yourself, and I will tell you if you are on the right track.:smile:

No, I gave up and that is why I got the car to carry them home in.

I need your advice to resolve this - I don't have a rack to tie them to remember.

Come on Snorri, indulge me :ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Could you fit a rack?
Not a facetious question, I don't know if your bike will take one or not.
Maybe get the pizza delivered? :boxing:

Have you got any left? I'm a bit peckish...

Top Bottom