Cyclo Cross / Adventure bike: Cannondale CAADx 105 vs Pinnacle Arkose 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stedaley

Looking at upgrading my generic bike to something with abit more get up and go as running is getting harder at 25 as they haven't made replacement knees for young people yet. Im sorry if this is the thousandth help me post....

I have a few trips coming up with a mix of road and gravel tracks so cyclocross bikes seem the way to go. As well as using this to commute. I have had a look and im very new to all the technical terms/makes/parts but have been looking at the CAADx 105 cannondale and the Pinnacle Arkose 4. Id love a pure road bike but i do need the thicker tyre and tread.

Now if anyone has any advice on these bikes or any bikes that i should also be looking at that would be great! or point me in the right direction.

Ste

Shaun

Founder
Hello @stedaley - what's your budget?

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Hello @stedaley I bought an Arkose 3 a few years ago, you can view my thread about it here.

Since buying it I have changed the wheels to Hunt 4 Season and upgraded the mechanical disc brakes to hydraulic.

Whilst I now have a more expensive, big brand road bike the arkose still makes me smile. For me it is my work horse It usually has mud guards and 28mm tyres and stays mainly on road as my commuting bike in poor weather. Nice weather like today the Trek comes out.

When I finally have the time I will service the Alex Rims that I retained and stick some bigger tyres on and get off road again.

If you have any speciofic questions about my experience with the Arkose I will be happy to try and answer them.

All the best

Darren

pjd57

Veteran
I'd like a change from flatbars / hybrid but don't want to chuck a lot of money at it , in case I don't like it.

Cheap cyclo-cross from Halfords , Voodoo Limba at £340 any use?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like reasonable value at the price. Usual cost savers at this price point, a little heavy but that shouldn't worry you too much.

Go and chuck a leg over one. Cycle Republic (Halfords) also have them.

I managed to get a used Specialized AWOL here very cheap which had been built from the frame/wheels up with cheap components so having to replace most. It came with straight so I'm converting back to drops. You could do the reverse if you don't like drops, cheaper than the other way round. Maybe you could look in the classifieds.

I do like the Pinnacle range, doesn't seem to be a bad one throughout.

pjd57

Veteran
After weeks/ months exploring the options , new v used , cheap v cheaper I decided on the Voodoo Limba.

It's less than half the price of anything else which ticked the boxes on my list so I'm not expecting too much.

But if I don't enjoy the change from a flat bar hybrid I won't have wasted too much cash.

If I do enjoy it , I can always ( wife's not about ) buy a better one next year.

Top Bottom