Cyclocross and disc brakes in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

user321

Hi everyone,

After 10 years out ;) I'm making my return to cross and hoping to partake in the forthcoming cross season. I'm in the process of looking for a new bike and kinda had my heart set on a Focus Mares 2009 Disc. I've read however that some events will not allow disc brakes, but exact information on this is "bitty" at best. I'm only really intent on racing the local league (Notts and Derby) and at the very most perhaps the midlands - in other words, no national events. Does anyone know if I'd be able to compete in these without any problems? The last thing I want to do is turn up at a league race part way through the season and be told that I can't ride!

Thanks for any advice!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Didn't the UCI ban discs from cc as they are a form of cheating? BCF followed suit for national races but I think they are still legal for local races given the number of disc braked MTB's taking part they must be!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You shouldn't have any real problems at local league level, but you might want to zap a mail off to the league admin, as they all have different rules.

OP
OP
U

user321

GrumpyGreg said:
Didn't the UCI ban discs from cc as they are a form of cheating?

From what I read it seems like that's the case!

Will, I think so too - I just wanted to make sure.

Cheers Steve. I found the Notts and Derby League contacts page and although there isn't an admin as such (they're all committee members / chairman / treasurer etc) I'm sure someone there will know.

RedBike

My understanding is they're still offically not allowed. However, i've never seen anyone object to someone taking part on a disc braked MTB (Which in theory aren't allowed for numerous reasons). I'm sure the offical rules will be on the BCF website somewhere.

If you're winning week in week out then someone might read you the rule book. However, if you just want to take part then to a certain extent I don't think it matters what sort of bike you ride.

Wait and see what the N&D have to say.

Christopher

Über Member
AFAIK not for any sort of title race (Regional or national Champs) but okay otherwise. They ARE allowed in the Three Peaks CX if you were thinking of doing that (but you must ride a CX bike in the 3Peaks, no MTBs allowed)

Dave5N

Über Member
The rules aren't entirely clear, but a lot of comms and organisers don't permit them as the can, frankly, be bloody dangerous in 'cross.

What do you want to stop for anyway? :ohmy:

jpembroke

Always thought the UCI disk ban was for technical/skill reasons. Much like in F1, which seems to ban loads of technology to - supposedly - make it more about driver ability. Anyway, who wants to stop in a 'cross race. You just need to slow done a bit going in to corners.

Top Bottom