Cyclocross bike for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brickisred

Cyclocross bikes

Posting here as my main use is commuting

I'm thinking of investing in a cyclocross bike to commute on instead of the current mtb, as I would like more speed on the road but still ride mainly on some rough trails. (basicly any excuse to buy a new bike :biggrin:)

Wiggle are currently discounting the Focus Mares Expert 2010 and it seems very well spec'd and on paper it looks a very good deal.

I could try out with their 30 day trial period (tried out a couple of bikes at lbs but not much choice available)

I'd be interested if anyone rides a Focus, or other cyclocross, to hear what they think.

Bugner

I commute on a Specialized Tricross. Perfect for the job in my opinion. Although i did quite quickly get rid of the suicide brake levers (which you find on most Cyclocross bikes) as hardly ever used them and they just got in the way.

It has mounts for pannier racks (which I don't use) takes mudguards, lighter and more nimble than a MTB, but a bit tougher than a road bike.

Kona and Genesis both do nice Cyclocross bikes as well, think the Genesis has disc brakes as well??

OP
OP
brickisred

brickisred

Ta for reply Bugner,
I'm considering the Genesis Vapour as a buget alternative, looks nice in the lbs!
Haven't found a local dealer stocking the Specialized yet.

Considering the Focus as I can try for a 30 day period.

What sort of condition trails do you ride on?

gouldina

I bought a Voodoo Limba cyclocross in Jan for this very purpose having previously ridden a hybrid for many years. Wasn't too sure at first but having fitted mudguards, replaced the rubbish brake pads and put 32 slicks on it I'm really loving it. It's bloody quick and with the 32s on it, very comfortable and rugged on the parkland and canal towpaths I generally take. I say go for it.

OP
OP
brickisred

brickisred

Ooh yeah!, does say in your sig.

My commute is road and trail and local park.
The other day I scared the cr*p out of the local small time dealers hanging round the play park as from a distance they saw figure on black mtb in black kit and helmet with yellow hi-viz jacket, just like the local bike cop wears! Heard them shouting at each other "F**k me fort it woz a pig"
Don't think they'll find it so funny more than once though:angry:

gouldina

Hey brickisred, just noticed you're in Cardiff. That's where I'm from and I'm likely to be back there soonish too (at least for some of the week). Where you cycling then? Taff Trail?

Norm

+1 to Bugner there. My Tricross mostly gets used for road work but it's also been thrown up stony tracks and used for the very muddy riverside path a couple of times. Very good bike for the road and the beaten track, IMO, which doesn't feel fragile when throwing it at the scarred tarmac.

The stuff I wrote here might be of interest, and this post has links to some of the videos I took and here for some photos showing the results of "throw it at the countryside and see if it works" style of off-roading. :biggrin:

OP
OP
brickisred

brickisred

gouldina said:
I bought a Voodoo Limba cyclocross in Jan for this very purpose having previously ridden a hybrid for many years. Wasn't too sure at first but having fitted mudguards, replaced the rubbish brake pads and put 32 slicks on it I'm really loving it. It's bloody quick and with the 32s on it, very comfortable and rugged on the parkland and canal towpaths I generally take. I say go for it.

Did spot a second hand Voodoo for sale. is yours 07 model?

OP
OP
brickisred

brickisred

gouldina said:
Hey brickisred, just noticed you're in Cardiff. That's where I'm from and I'm likely to be back there soonish too (at least for some of the week). Where you cycling then? Taff Trail?

Currently cycle along Ely trail then up through Fairwater then an alternative trail along the west of the Taff through Radyr

OP
OP
brickisred

brickisred

Norm said:
+1 to Bugner there. My Tricross mostly gets used for road work but it's also been thrown up stony tracks and used for the very muddy riverside path a couple of times. Very good bike for the road and the beaten track, IMO, which doesn't feel fragile when throwing it at the scarred tarmac.

The stuff I wrote here might be of interest, and this post has links to some of the videos I took and here for some photos showing the results of "throw it at the countryside and see if it works" style of off-roading. :biggrin:

Great, will have a look, (need to get back to some work at the mo!) :biggrin:

Norm

brickisred said:
Great, will have a look, (need to get back to some work at the mo!) :ohmy:
I had a quick run to the next village this afternoon, so attached my camera to show the sort of route which a Tricross eats.

Excuse the quality, they are screen shots from the video.

If your run includes farm tracks
th_2010-03-111FarmTrack.png

and a busy village with speed humps
th_2010-03-112Village.png

with maybe the odd cattle grid
th_2010-03-113CattleGrid.png

or two
th_2010-03-114CattleGrid.png

but you want the speed to handle a narrow stretch of NSL rat-run road
th_2010-03-115ClosePass.png

and the strength to maybe do the odd kerb hop
th_2010-03-116Kerb.png

and some long
th_2010-03-117Grass.png

long
th_2010-03-118Mud.png

stretches of mud and river bank
th_2010-03-119River.png

but you still want to make a small climb without an issue
th_2010-03-1110Bridge.png

then I would recommend a cyclo-cross style bike. B)

(I'm just uploading the video. I'll link when it's done)

MichaelM

Guru
I've just built up a Surly Cross check, Steel frame & fork, so maybe one of the lighter offerings will appeal more, but;

rack mounts
guard mounts
will accept 700 x 45 c tyres
some are running 29er tyres 29 x1.9
semi horizontal drop outs -switch to SS/fixed.
oh, did I mention that it's made of steel? B)

OP
OP
brickisred

brickisred

Ok, bit the bullet and ordered the Focus Mares Expert from Wiggle!
Discount has now gone but after a few emails they have kindly included it for me.
Can't wait!!!

Top Bottom