cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyclenic

cyclenic

I'm looking to get a cyclocross, what bikes would you recomend and why?

:biggrin:

Christopher

Über Member
i'm looking to get a Genesis Croix de Fer in the bike2work scheme this year. Steel frame + disc brakes. Not cheap though, at £999 IIRC.

OT: wonder if 'cross is the new fixed? More people seem to be interested in it lately

Norm

Frustruck said:
OT: wonder if 'cross is the new fixed? More people seem to be interested in it lately
For me, it's the stronger build and more all-round use. I love the road bike but I've found myself using the MTB if there's any chance I might leave the tarmac.

Dave5N

Über Member
cyclenic said:
just a general bike

Then the Focus is very good value. Or the Edinburgh one you posted about.

Keep to the lower end - more expensive bikes will have racing geometry with tight handling and high bottom brackets and will not have braze ons for bottles etc.

However, if you want a really decent bike, I have a Ridley Crosswind I might sell.

jpembroke

Just bear in mind that pretty much everyone who buys a cross bike as a road bike regrets not buying a road bike. In summary, if you want a road bike, buy a road bike.

Christopher

Über Member
jpembroke said:
Just bear in mind that pretty much everyone who buys a cross bike as a road bike regrets not buying a road bike. In summary, if you want a road bike, buy a road bike.
+1. I am getting mine for rough-stuffing and CX racing, not for touring or tarmac, I already have bikes for that :sad:

Norm

Norm said:
I'm looking at a Specialized Tricross Sport. Why? Because I trust Spesh as a brand and my LBS are very good, the components are solid and reliable and it's similar colours to my Secteur so Mrs Norm might not spot the N+1. :biggrin:
My name is Norm and I have just got N+1.:biggrin:

The wife even likes it.

Taking a bike with drops along the Thames tow path did that get me some funny looks. :laugh: Quite sure-footed in the mud, a few slides from the tail in the squishiest bits.

What a lovely bike, though. Admittedly, a compromise, neither roadie or MTB but very suitable for much of my riding. I felt that it was built for that sort of treatment, riding off road, bridle paths, gravel tracks, potholes, it just felt really solid and I wasn't worried about what I was riding over.:wacko:

Shoot, am I unfit, though. First bit of distance since the first weekend in December, I only did about 15 miles all told and I'm pooped. Apparently, I still have not cleared the bronchitis.

OP
OP
cyclenic

cyclenic

News guys, i've filled out a form, ready to get myself a specialized tricross 2010, getting shoes, pedals and a ladies seat, and saving about £250. think it's a bargain, and looking forward to it.
went down to my LBS, after only riding one other drop bar bike, i tried this one, (after a good chat about why i want one and what i'd use it for) rode around and around in circles, and liked it.
I'm excited.
so that's my news :-)

Top Bottom