D Day ........

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
Very fitting. A close friend of my late father’s was one of the first to land on Gold Beach. He was a brave brave man but was haunted for the rest of his life by what he saw and experienced. We are all indebted to those people. I will always be thankful for their courage and bravery.

I entirely agree with the sentiment, the execution isn’t quite right. That’s more about remembrance / armistice day ( all conflicts ) rather than D-Day specifically.
My FB feed is full of this sort of thing today, I’m not sure about the motives from the majority of people who’ve been posting it. Is it about a respectful doff of the proverbial hat ( good ), or garnering FB ‘likes and shares’ for narcissistic purposes? Given the majority of them seem to be confusing events, and factoring out genuine ignorance of the difference, I suspect the majority, fall into the latter category.

Last edited:
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Veteran
I entirely agree with the sentiment, the execution isn’t quite right. That’s more about remembrance / armistice day ( all conflicts ) rather than D-Day specifically.
My FB feed is full of this sort of thing today, I’m not sure about the motives from the majority of people who’ve been posting it. Is it about a respectful doff of the proverbial hat ( good ), or garnering FB ‘likes and shares’ for narcissistic purposes? Given the majority of them seem to be confusing events, and factoring our genuine ignorance of the difference, I suspect the majority, fall into the latter category.
Those words were spoken by a Veteran of the Landings today , so if the words are good enough for him it’s should certainly be good enough for the rest of us , you know , the ones that have ultimately benefited the most ........ Us
Edit
And FYI, those words are spoken every night in what is known as the RSL’s in Australia , the equivalent of th British Legion, and it is well frowned upon if you do not stand or take your hat off whilst being said,

Last edited:
Those words were spoken by a Veteran of the Landings today , so if the words are good enough for him it’s should certainly be good enough for the rest of us , you know , the ones that have ultimately benefited the most ........ Us
Edit
And FYI, those words are spoken every night in what is known as the RSL’s in Australia , the equivalent of th British Legion, and it is well frowned upon if you do not stand or take your hat off whilst being said,
As I said, I’m 100 percent behind the sentiment, it’s the trite nature of the photo thing that gets me a bit up tight. There’s a poppy visible in the photo thing as well, I’m fairly sure Normandy is no where near Flanders, and poppies don’t grow in the sea, I’m well aware of the symbolism of the poppy, but I think it’s been misused in this case.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We can never repay debt that we owe to those brave men.
Maybe we can, by not embracing populism, the extreme right and recognising he peace and stability that the EU has given us....
Just a thought.

[edited for clarity of meaning]

Last edited:
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Veteran
As I said, I’m 100 percent behind the sentiment, it’s the trite nature of the photo thing that gets me a bit up tight. There’s a poppy visible in the photo thing as well, I’m fairly sure Normandy is no where near Flanders, and poppies don’t grow in the sea, I’m well aware of the symbolism of the poppy, but I think it’s been misused in this case.
Maybe we can, by not embracing populism, the extreme right and recognising he peace and stability that the EU has given us....
Just a thought.

[edited for clarity of meaning]
Poppy’s are synonymous with all British Armed Services for all events that relate to remembrance , a lot of those Lads today were sporting them today, so once again.....

Stability in Europe is directly attributable to NATO, of which the USA plays a big part

Last edited:

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
Today would have been my late father's 75th birthday. His father, my grandfather, was waiting to cross the channel to Normandy, which he did on D+10. He was a driver in the RAF and his job included helping the survivors of Bergen-Belsen and demilitarization after the war, collecting and disposing of munitions.

It was over a year before he returned home to his wife and newborn son.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The Christian cross is the thing that bothers me (even though my middle name is actually Christian). It wasn't a crusade, for Christ's sake, as they say....
The symbol excludes other religions, and there were many of them. We should not try to co-opt or forget other religions, nor atheists
(Declaration of interest: my paternal grandfather died in WWI's trenches)

Top Bottom