daft question: Mercedes Sprinter wheel removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not quite bikes but it does carry mine occasionally.........

I've got a flat. Now is there any reason once I've removed the five wheel bolts why the wheel won't come off? I'm not missing some dastardly central collar that only Mercedes fit am I? I'm thinking it's just rust but it won't shift so I'm doubting my own logic. So before I call out the AA type people am I missing something really Doh! type gotcha ;)

sheddy

Legendary Member
The wheel may be stuck on the hub with rust. If you can get air in the tyre for a short time you could try putting 2 nuts/bolts back in loose, lower it down, remove jack and rocking the car back and forth with the engine until the wheel releases from the hub.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I can't get enough air in Sheddy, it's a leaky valve. I've tried dropping it with a bump on the bottle jack, hammering it with wood and a lump hammer and it's currently soaking in WD40 while I brew on the problem. If i had my bunson I'd heat it and cool it rapidly but I don't so unless the WD40 works it's admit defeat and a phone call.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

It told me where to position the bottle jack and to remove the bolts as you'd expect, hence my rust conclusion. However I've known the manuals to be missing model information in the past.

Careful how you dislodge the wheel Crackle - everyone knows Mercedes bends.;)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

yeeeesss. Thank you chaps.

The Fonz is apparently busy and 'teef is well up to his usual high standard of punning but none of its helping me get my wheel off.

Anyway, I've had a brainwave over my 2nd cup of tea as I'm convinced it's just rusted so I shall go out and try it later when I've some time and someone can keep hold of the dog which keeps trying to eat my ear every time I lie down. I also have to attend to this 'ere blister where I twelted me finger with the lumphammer ;);)

sheddy

Legendary Member
Prob OT but I once had a steel wheel stuck on a hub which must of been struck in the centre by a cretin with a hammer (why?) to such an extent that the centre was deformed and folded over making the wheel captive !

Top Bottom