Daftest theft ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Just heard this on the local news, somebody in Buckhaven stole a whole of copper pipes for scrap; they were connected to the gas mains though :ohmy:

Its got me thinking what other daft thefts have there been?

I believe that unfortunately on quite a number of occasions things have been stolen from substations and then caused shorts and fires in the local area.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Up here there seem to be regular reports of thieves taking the wire from alongside the railways. Occasionally, one of them electrocutes themselves, or gets run over.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Up here there seem to be regular reports of thieves taking the wire from alongside the railways. Occasionally, one of them electrocutes themselves, or gets run over.

The stealing of wires was a regular occurrence in London when I used to train commute

gbb

Legendary Member
We never found out if it was a mickey take, but no-one ever admitted to it, so we assume it was a theft with a mickey take twist....
One guy at work years ago went to his bike in the rack after a night shift...his bike was gone...and a kiddies tricycle was left in its place :wacko: :biggrin: . Never did get to the bottom of it.

When I lived in Lancaster, a 2m tall roll of copper wire went missing from a building site just down the road.

I was looking at reviews of bike locks online recently, and found one - bloke bought the lock in question, thought it looked a bit thin, and went back to the store to buy a different one, leaving his bike secured outside with the first lock. When he came out with his new, stronger lock - someone had cut through the first lock and taken the bike! :laugh:

Needless to say, the review he left was less than glowing...

yup,

I don't see why they can't set up, within the outer fence of the sub station, an inner fence that has a few thousand volts going through it - there are danger of death signs all over so its not as if people have not been warned.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you go to a big African city like Lagos you will see that the cable that runs along the road between the street lamps has all been stolen so there are no street lamps working. The steel barriers on the elevated sections of motorway are stolen by somebody with cutting gear so it's not uncommon for vehicles to fall over the edge. In fact just about everything gets stolen, not least all the country's money, which ends up in private bank accounts in Switzerland.

(I suspect that this is the reason why, with the exception of the Pakistani community in the UK, very few people gave money for the Pakistan flood relief - they didn't believe it wouldn't get stolen.)

Top Bottom