Damaged bike already.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidh

Hi,
I purchased a cheap bike from Halfords yesterday to shift some of the unwanted weight, I went for a cheap option to see if I'd actually use it enough before going for a more expensive bike. The bike itself was only £90 so I did'nt expect it to be a Ferarri of a bike although I have had problems with it already.

1st) I have knackered the seat tube already, according to the manual you should tighten the bolt that holds the seatpost enough so that the seat doesnt move. I did this although it got to the point where the seat tube has bent with the bolt, yet you can still move the seat slightly from left to right. (see picture below) I have ordered a new seat post already due to the lack of height, although is the seat tube knackered now? or will it still hold the new post in place? obviously I will need to get a new bolt tho.

2nd) The front wheel has disc brakes although as the wheel goes around at a certain point you can here the wheel rub on the brakes, when riding the rubbing noise sounds more constant due to the wheel going round obviously. Is this down to it just being new or will the brakes need adjusting?

Sorry if this post sounds a little stupid, I'm a complete amateur whos just looking to get fit without using the dreaded gyms!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
take it back. if you can, see if you can trade up to the carrera subway for the difference. otherwise get a refund. look to spend around £200 on a new bike that works properly. there are quite a few "best bike for £xx pounds" threads on here.

good luck.

Cosmo

Take it back for them to have a look at, the seat clamp shouldnt bend like that and I would also have then check the front wheel is true and so is the disk

John

First Welcome

2nd The seat post if you had to do it up to the point you did it is the wrong size seat post. Is it just a seat post or is it a suspension seat post? If it is suspension there will be moment L/R that is just the way they are.

3rd The brakes the rubbing is due to the disk having a kink in it and will not sort it's self out.

The thing to do is to take it back to S88tfords and tell them what is going on. The seat clamp can be fixed in a second and you don't need a new bolt get them to try the next size post as the clamp should not touch like that. then the disk can be bent right it you know what you are doing which I hope they do (but I know they don't) If you have any problems with the bike take it back they have to fix it in the first year and they have to give the bike a service in that time. The best time to take it back is after 4 or so months don't let them tell you when you should take it in as you are riding the bike not them.

OP
OP
D

Davidh

Cheers for your replies.
I'm off to take it back tonight to get it fixed, as I say I know it's not going to be the Ferarri of bikes at £90 although you expect it to work as it should.

The seat post is just a normal post, nothing fancy, it still moves side to side even now when its that tight which isnt good.

Ivan Ardon

This isn't an reflection on you davidh, but this thread illustrates why a £100 new bike is no bargain at all.

Good luck getting it sorted.

OP
OP
D

Davidh

Ivan Ardon said:
This isn't an reflection on you davidh, but this thread illustrates why a £100 new bike is no bargain at all.

I agree, just didnt want to blow a load of cash on something that will sit in the garage collecting dust. £100 isnt a great loss if I use it once or twice this year.

Went to Halfords last night, first of all they wanted to book it in for repair which would take upto 2 weeks, this was before he even inspected the bike.
I asked him to actually look at the bike with me here, first he said the disc brake rubbing was my fault, I had been riding it to aggressivly round corners, to which I replied its only been tested outside the house, not even got a mile on the clock yet lol.

He went off to consult another employee, this new guy came back and said yeah all disc brakes do this. Not convinced at all I had to laugh which made him look a little nervous.

Moving onto the seat, that was also my fault. He said he would fit a quick release bolt on and that should work. After 30mins of tightening the bolt the seat still moved left to right.

He finally announced this bike was crap and I shouldnt of bought it.

Money in my pocket again its Back to the drawing board.:wacko:

Nick G

Result!

go secondhand or spend another 3100 - £150. Entry Level Trek and Giant hybrid/ city bikes are very good at around £225 - £250.

dodgy

It's unrealistic to expect a £90 bike to be equipped with disk brakes that actually work well.

As you now probably know, a too cheap a bike is a false economy. I often wonder how many more cyclists there would be on the roads if they hadn't been put off by a £90 bike in the past. Don't give up, spend some sensible money and if you don't take to it you can recoup some of your investment by selling it. Even if you only spend £200, you might be able to sell it for about £120, so a total outlay of £80 - which is cheaper than the nail you bought from Halfrauds.

Dave.

OP
OP
D

Davidh

You should of been stood there when he said it! I couldnt help but laugh, best part is the bike obviously looked as if its not seen much of the road, the tyres were still in perfect condition. Must of thought I'd been round a mountain and back in 24hrs then put it through the car wash.

Top Bottom