Dangerous Cycle Lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think this cycle lane is dangerous. the local council in their wisdom has decided to repaint it (it was very faded until now, with good reason!!). I think it is very dangerous, what do you think?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's in Glasgow?:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

medals said:
The white lines should be solid too. To discourage traffic from straying into the cycle lane.

Cars often park in the lane. The problem is that is is right outside peoples houses, so this is their on street parking. I think it is a good example of a cycle lane to tick a box.

MajorMantra

This is a problem with many, many cycle lanes. Overall I think they may do more harm than good as they encourage gutter-hugging and lead to drivers abusing those who refuse to use them. Also, placing cyclists closer to the edge of the road means that people on side roads with poor visibility see you later than they would if you were farther out.

Matthew

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Catrike UK said:
I don't think it is a bad lane, pointless perhaps, the real issue is bad driving.

You are correct of course. In an ideal world this lane would be fine, but as the video shows if at this junction, you don't control the lane/traffic behind you, then you are at risk of a left hook. Therefore, cyclists should be discouraged, not encouraged to cycle where that lane is.

Catrike UK said:
I don't think it is a bad lane, pointless perhaps, the real issue is bad driving.
+ 1

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HLaB said:
Did you not describe it as 'a nice little cycle lane' in the original clip :smile:

LOL, I was thinking that too, then I remembered what someone on here writes. The cycle lanes are for motorists, to encourage them out of their cars. Not for "proper" cyclists, who'll soon realise they don't need them as they gain experience.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
Did you not describe it as 'a nice little cycle lane' in the original clip :smile:

No. the clip is available if you want to see it. I say,

'Look, there's even a wee lane for you!'

:wacko:

Top Bottom