dangerous tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Just bought a Raleigh Royal 55cm Frame Size Touring Bike 700c wheels. Apparently this should be ok for an inside leg of 31 inch.

However when my left pedal is half way up when pedalling and turning to the right my left foot catches the front wheel by two inches.

To me this is dangerous. Should I send it back?

Your input would be appreciated.

e-rider

crappy member
This is a common problem on small frames or poorly designed ones!

This is something that needs to be checked out before you decide to buy a particular bike, if it's not to your liking.

Unfortunately, this is how your bike has been designed - Raleigh make some pretty awful bikes these days!

If you bought it new and it hasn't been used they might take it back; otherwise you'll just have to get used to it - if you still don't like it after a while, your last option would be to sell it on and buy something else.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
tundragumski said:
This is a common problem on small frames or poorly designed ones!

This is something that needs to be checked out before you decide to buy a particular bike, if it's not to your liking.

Unfortunately, this is how your bike has been designed - Raleigh make some pretty awful bikes these days!

If you bought it new and it hasn't been used they might take it back; otherwise you'll just have to get used to it - if you still don't like it after a while, your last option would be to sell it on and buy something else.

Toe overlap is not a consequence of poor design nor is it a dangerous problem. Several of my bikes have toe overlap and I've not had any problems at all during my six years of ownership.

A quick quote from the sage of cycling's (Sheldon Brown) web site:

Toe Clip Overlap

On many bicycles, especially smaller sizes, it is possible for the front fender or tire to bump into the rider's toe or to the toe clip. Some people worry a lot about this, but it is rarely a significant problem in practice. The only time it can happen is when the handlebars are turned quite far to the side, which only happens at very low speeds.
Many, many people ride bikes with fairly severe overlap with no practical problems, sometimes having to make a slight adjustment to their pedaling habits at very slow speeds.
On smaller size bikes with full size wheels, it is usually impossible to eliminate overlap without causing adverse fit/handling issues.
The Raleigh Royal is a great value for money bike. The original poster will find that it will meet all of his touring and commuting needs. I completed a 100km audax ride riding with a chap using a Raleigh Royal. He was full of praise about its features and ride quality. I'd say it was on parity with the Edinburgh Bike Co-Operative's equivalent tourer at the very least.

I think that getting used to the overlap won't take long. I think I've had only one or two toe to wheel contacts and that was when the bike was stationary and I tried to turn the bars fully to the left or right when my foot was in the maximum overlap position.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree that toe-overlap is not really an issue.
My old Holdsworth has similar overlap and I've toured on it without problem, then I converted it to fixed-wheel and it's never been an issue there either. It seems alarming, but you readily get used to it and soon becomes a non-issue.

vernon said:
Toe overlap is not a consequence of poor design nor is it a dangerous problem.

For you it's obviously not a dangerous problem. For others it may be.

Surely no-one can make a definitive statement on behalf of everyone claiming that it is or isn't dangerous. Isn't that up to the individual rider to decide?

What I think is a far more pertinent question is this: why is it necessary to have toe-overlap on a well-designed touring cycle???

Cheers

Joe

Über Member
Toe overlap is only an issue on fixed imo, and even then it's not the end of the world! You'll soon get used to it and the bike will be fine for a good tour, enjoy:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
BigonaBianchi said:
I would not want to ride a bike with 'toe overlap' sounds dangerous to me.

It might sound dangerous, but it is not an issue. You can basically just forget about it other than at very low speeds.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
BigonaBianchi said:
I would not want to ride a bike with 'toe overlap' sounds dangerous to me.

It sounds dangerous is very different from it is dangerous.

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for this not being a problem. When you are turning at higher speeds the wheel needs very little movement to make the bike change direction - certainly not enough to cause the foot to hit the wheel. One of my bikes has toe overlap and it is an issue only when doing a U turn in a narrow space

So relax!

asterix

Comrade Member
My first good bike - a tourer - had toe overlap and great handling. I rode it for nearly 20 years without even thinking about it being a problem. Then after I had it re-enamelled and a lot of new bits, some low-life pinched it.

I am very pleased to have found a similar machine off ebay that also has some toe overlap and similar handling.
It's being done up and I have bought a stronger lock.

Top Bottom