Dartmoor Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajb

Just over 2 weeks now till the Dartmoor Classic, :thumbsup:

Anyone here doing it ?? :thumbsup:
Are you ready for it ?? :bicycle:

After my "off" a while back and breaking 2 ribs i think I'll manage, :thumbsup:
went out yesterday and managed almost 80mls, :thumbsup: want to get another long one in this weekend.:bicycle:
Just hope it's not as windy on the day as it was yesterday. A bit of :sun: would be nice.

Alan.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I am!
Got to admit to really looking forward to this. I even like the style of news letters and how it has been building towards it.
I hope it is sunny, but not as hot as last year!

pepecat

Me too!!!

Don't think I'm ready for it.....but I will finish!! Plus the last ten miles or so are pretty much all downhill, so that's a bonus.

Which routes are you guys doing?

chris-s

Cracking day, I was only going to do the 66 mile, but after starting early with the 100 miler's decided to go the long way round.

Some awesome decents, I'm not usually a lover of descents but threw caution to the wind on these, some nice twisty downhills - loved them, but of course every down was followed by an up! Of course every down was followed by an up, 11,000 feet of them! I was glad to have got round, never having done that sort of distance but as a little disappoined with my 8hrs 36min time, just missing out on a bronze medal - arghh. Could easily have made up for that by slightly shorter stops but don't think I could have made it up by riding any harder.

The scenery was truly beautiful, misty for the first 12 miles or so which made for an interesting descent or two, but then glorious sunshine with a good breeze to knock off the worst of the heat.

44669a79.jpg

95d4da19.jpg

bd0f173a.jpg

th_5be43d88.jpg

Well done to all those who took part and thanks to MDCC and all those involved, particulary the marshalls and the many supporters along the route.

Chris

2PedalsTez

Über Member
This event goes from strength to strength.
Well done MDCC and everyone involved.

Man it was hot!

pepecat

Yup, it was hot as heck in places, but the breezes were quite nice! Did the 65 miles in 7h 18 total time - 6h 09 actual cycling according to my computer - yes, I know I'm very slow! Some brutes of hills and scary steep descents, but after the first 35 miles to princetown, I enjoyed it all the way home!

OP
OP
A

ajb

A bad day on the Dartmoor Classic for me.

Started very well, got to Princetown in just over 2hrs (32mls)
cracking descent towards Yelverton, recorded 49.7mph, great
ride up around Lydford and Brentor, then the heat started getting to me,
going up the 1st of 3 big hills from 65mls I started feeling all dizzy, 2nd
climb I could barely ride in a straight line, then the 3rd hill I was actually
being sick at the side of the road, those 6mls to Princetown took me 1hr,
on reaching the feed station I had no choice but to pull out.
So at 62mls I was on target for the gold medal time, then ended up with nothing,
Never mind, have to sign up for next year.

Well done to everyone who completed the course, long or short.

Alan.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
A bad day on the Dartmoor Classic for me.

Started very well, got to Princetown in just over 2hrs (32mls)
cracking descent towards Yelverton, recorded 49.7mph, great
ride up around Lydford and Brentor, then the heat started getting to me,
going up the 1st of 3 big hills from 65mls I started feeling all dizzy, 2nd
climb I could barely ride in a straight line, then the 3rd hill I was actually
being sick at the side of the road, those 6mls to Princetown took me 1hr,
on reaching the feed station I had no choice but to pull out.
So at 62mls I was on target for the gold medal time, then ended up with nothing,
Never mind, have to sign up for next year.

Well done to everyone who completed the course, long or short.

Alan.

There were a lot of riders finding it tough going (including myself).
I too did the first leg at a reasonable pace, then came that second leg that hurt like hell! I am not ashamed to admit to struggling with it this year. I blame the heat and (probably) not feeding correctly (live and learn!). Bizarrely I flew through the last stage (didn't blink at the last climb).

Who cares about times, it's all about being on a bike enjoying your ride (it doesn't always feel that way!). I bet you will do it again next year.

Me? I will be back for sure, but will ride the 100k distance and enjoy the whole event :smile:

pepecat

That was my first sportive, and before that the longest I'd cycled was 40 miles and with not enough climb. The first 35 miles to Princetown were tough (oh my god!), but the second 30 were actually pretty good, especially the last 15 of down hill and flat! About half an hour after I finished i think my body had a 'what the hell was all that about' moment, and i ended up in the first aid tent cos my blood pressure dropped and heart rate went up. The Red Cross guys were brilliant though, and i was fine after being tended to for a while. They were most intrigued by the High 5 Zero tablets i had as well.....!

Top Bottom