Dawes Century SE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I am thinking of getting Dawes Century SE as my winter bike. I love the classic frame geometry and this bike looks ideal for the job. Steel frame, carbon forks and full mudguards. Fairly cheap components to replace after the winter crud takes its toll and can take a rack and suitable for all day riding. Could even strip it down a bit and use for day long rides in the summer. On offer for £715 seems a bit of a bargain too. What do you think?

I think, nay I'm sure, there's an upcoming review in road.cc. Baggy of this forum will have the lowdown as I think Chuffy is doing the review.

There's a gallery here.

I like the looks of it. I have the Dawes Audax 2006 which is pretty similiar, no carbon forks though and it's all I need in a bike. I think the price is pretty good too and it will do all that you mentioned, easily.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
It s indeed like an updated version of the Dawes Audax - there will definitely be a review of it on road.cc soon. In short, yes, it's got all the bits you'd want too make it an ideal winter bike and it's apparently very comfortable on long day rides :thumbsup: It's got a sensible range of gears and the frame was very tidy and well finished.

At that price they're a bargain, though Spa cycles have them on pre-order, not actually in stock as yet - but worth waiting a couple of weeks for I think.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Yes it does seem to tick all the right boxes for me. I spoke to Spa Cycles yesterday, and had a good chat with them. All I need to do now is sell the Mountain bike to release some funds to go towards it.....
P.S thanks for the link to the gallery Crackle.

P.H

Über Member
My winter bike cost £160 second hand. Still has Tiagra stuff

£700 is a lot to spend on a winter hack.

Shhhhh... If people don't buy new bikes, where are you going to get second hand ones from?

And £700 is what I'd spend on three months commuting if I didn't have a bike I liked riding. If you use them, bikes are cheap :biggrin: That Dawes does look like decent value at Spa prices.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike