Dawes Discovery 201-Help me with the frame size plz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craigyboy

I am interested in buying the Dawes Discovery 201. I have called 2 of the local bike stores who sell Dawes bikes but they are both out of stock in my size, 22inch frame. Dawes are out of stock so they cannot re-order as well so I must use an online store.

I have to buy the bike off the internet before I try it which is not ideal but both stores say the think the bike will fit me a with a 22 inch frame if I order it going from experience with past customers.

I am concerned that it may not fit which means the trouble of sending it back by courier which I don't want. Anyone with experience with these bikes do you think that it will be the right size for me, I am 6'4 with a 35-36 inch leg?

Here is the bike http://www.dawescycles.com/p-160-discovery-201-gents.aspx

MarkF

Guru
Have they changed frame design? About 4 years ago I bought a 201 21", the next size was 23". It was too small for me, I was cramped up and I am "only" 6'1" with a 33" leg.

I now have a 501/23" and this suits me fine although the seat it nearly fully down, I can relax and stretch out more, move around, on long rides. My cousin over from Oz is using it at the mo', he's more your size and the seat is raised quite away. I think you need to try before you buy, I reckon 22" will be too small.;)

smeg

I've got the same bike I use for commuting to work, but the blue one with pannier rack and mudguards fitted. Good reliable bike, to my surprise even the tyres seem good I thought I'd have to replace them but they're pretty tough and as of yet no punctures. As has been mentioned even a 22" frame might be too small for you being so tall and lanky :blush:. Mine is a 20" frame - I'm 5' 11" & 32" leg. I bought mine online for £270.

OP
OP
C

Craigyboy

I didn't go with the doors in the end I didn't want to risk buying a bike to small so I went with the Giant CRS 4.0 in the 23 inch frame so it will fit me for sure. It doesn't come with racks and mudguards but I will just buy them and fit them myself.

Thanks for the help anyway

darkfibre72

I've just sold my Discovery 301, it has a 21" frame. I'm 5'10'' and to be honest, for me a slight tad big, but not by much. Great bike and I was sorry to see it go. I've finally went for a Scott Sub 30.

rick123

In case anyone else wonders about the frame size for the 201/301.

I have been riding a 22" mountain bike, I am 6ft 1 inch and have a 34.5" leg.

The 2009 Discovery 201/301 have a suspension seat post, which adds an additional 2 inches to the frame size. I have sat on a 22" 201 and it was too big for me, I could barely get both tips of my toes to touch the floor. So, I am going for the 20", with the suspension seat post it is equivalent to a 22". Alternatively, if I did not want the suspension seat post I could take it off and the 22" bike would be the right size.

Thought I would share this,
Rich

smeg

rick123 said:
The 2009 Discovery 201/301 have a suspension seat post, which adds an additional 2 inches to the frame size. I have sat on a 22" 201 and it was too big for me, I could barely get both tips of my toes to touch the floor. So, I am going for the 20", with the suspension seat post it is equivalent to a 22". Alternatively, if I did not want the suspension seat post I could take it off and the 22" bike would be the right size.
Eh? That sounds a bit Irish to me. I've got the 2009 version of the Discovery 201EQ which doesn't have a suspension seat post. Perhaps there's a new 2010 revision out? How does a suspension seat post add 2" to the frame size, it adds 2" to the seat post/saddle height which means you simply just have to have the saddle a bit lower? :blush:

rick123

Hi mate,

Yes it does sound a bit confusing!

The 201EQ 2009 does not come with a suspension seat post, therefore the rule does not apply. The 201 (& 301) 2009 does.

I agree it is not actually increasing the frame size, however, in the case of the 201 with the sus seat post, 2" of the sus seat post contain the suspension mechanism, making the saddle 2" higher, which makes the 20" frame with the sus seat post like sitting on a 22" (in terms of saddle height, because the saddle will not go as low as a normal seat post - the mechanism can't go into the seat post). Like I said, alternatively, if you don't want a sus seat post, you can remove it and there is no issue.

regards
Rich

PS- how do you like your 201EQ?

Top Bottom