Dawes Discovery 601

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Well, I have earnt a sh*t load of overtime money and have enough to a) pay off my credit card or :laugh: buy a Dawes Discovery 601.
Naturally the sensible option would be a), although I'm rather inclined towards :blush:.
So, is this bike a decent bike to get? It seems a good spec to me. Anyone got/had one and would care to comment?
I could do a) and save up for a few months and do B) I suppose. I'm scared in case all the 2007 sale models get snapped up though leaving me with having to pay the full £600.

Tynan

Veteran
everyone seems to love them

redfox

I got one nearly five years ago now and used it heavily for about 18 months until I invested a lot more money in a dedicated bike for touring and audax rides.

I liked it a lot, but did find some of the components failed sooner than expected.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
BentMikey said:
Pay your card off innit. You'll save yourself the interest!

Yeah, I think I will do that, and hope that the 2007 sale models don't get snapped up over the next couple of months. I shall fight the temptation to buy one right now!
People's general experiences of the bike would still be appreciated though - so I can build up to something to look forward to!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Tynan said:
can't see £600 worth of interest being that much

£5.67 (0.945 % p/m), obviously decreasing each month as the balance gets smaller. Obviously I'd not pay the entire £600 if I got one in the sale.
Plus I'd sell on my GT Nomad Sport and hopefully get a decent price for that.

Decisions, Decisions! Best behave really and do a) first as my other half will probably tell me off for spending more money on a bike!

Tynan

Veteran
£6/month?

buy it

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for the link Crackle.

Anyone know the difference between the chainsets;
FSA 53/39/31
&
Truvativ Elite 52/42/30t ?

Seems the 2008 model has a few carbon bits and a different chainset but everything else looks pretty similar to me. I take it the 2008 model should be specced a bit better or are they using cheaper components to make up for the carbon bits?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Ok, I'm still on my quest to save up for a 601 (CC paid off with O/T money). I've found a 2006 model for sale;

It has done approximately 400 miles. The only damage are some marks from storage and two rips to the saddle which were there from new, and have been fixed with some insulation tape (not overly bothered about the saddle as I'd probably use my own women specific saddle which has been nicely moulded to my bum). Also included is an aluminium bottle cage and a Tubus pannier rack and Cane Creek Ergo bar ends.
The bike has had all new cables fitted recently and a headset re grease. They said they will also fit a new chain before the bike is purchased.

Here is the spec in a bit more detail:
Dawes aluminium 19" frame with an aero blade fork
Shimano deore 27 speed groupset with an xt rear mech, and a deore octolink bottom bracket and chainset
Shimano v brakes with cartridge brake pads
Shimano hubs on alex rim 700c wheels shod with schwalbe delta cruiser tyres (700x32)
Dawes aluminium stem handle bar and seatpost with a wtb headset.

They are asking for £250 for it. Given that there is a few accessories (I was going to get a pannier rack and Tubus are supposed to be a good make) I think that isn't too bad a price. The only other outlay I would have are some SKS mudguards, as this bike doesn't have any.
Any thoughts? It looks well looked after, but I'm not an expert! I know second hand bikes aren't really worth much, so don't know whether I should offer them less?

Tetedelacourse

Certainly sounds like a bargain, but I'm a little suspicious of the fact that if it's only done 400 miles, why has it had a headset regrease, new cables and (soon to be) a new chain?

cannondale boy

Über Member
"Shimano deore 27 speed groupset with an xt rear mech" This i have on my bike and is quite smooth when shifting from gear to gear.

Had a look at the bike myself on ebay. If your comfortable with flat bars, and not going to far with your commute, i would recommend it. IMO if i where commuting 20+miles every day i would opt for drop bars.

If you do go for the bike, i would take it to a LBS just to get it checked over. Even test ride it, if your not to far away from that location.

Tynan

Veteran
Tetedelacourse said:
Certainly sounds like a bargain, but I'm a little suspicious of the fact that if it's only done 400 miles, why has it had a headset regrease, new cables and (soon to be) a new chain?

ditto, had an accident and/or been left sitting somewhere a long time?

reasonable for 400 mils too init?

Top Bottom