Dawes frame sizes - or forget Dawes?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterpotter

[SIZE=-1]Hi, I''m 5'6" ish (159 cm) with 29" (74cm) inside leg. I'd like to buy a Galaxy, but the smallest frame size seems to be 54cm, which on paper is much too big. Does anyone out there, my size, ride a Galaxy? Or should I consider a different bike (road touring + gentle off-road) [/SIZE]

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't know about the Galaxy but I am the same Height and inside leg as you and I ride a 54cm Dawes Giro 300 and its a good fit, my Pearson touche is also 54cm.

OP
OP
P

peterpotter

Dawes frame...

Thanks to both Acountantpete and Dave R, not to mention earlier posters: I had looked at the Dawes sizing site, and also spoke to two Dawes dealers, and received conflicting advice as to whether the standard 54cm frame would suit me. Apparently Dawes are bringing out a 51cm frame for the Galaxy on March 1st. Given Dave R's comment, the 54 frame might be ok, but best option is to jump on and try (no local delaers have one in stock). And any advice from a Bob Marley fan has to be good advice.....

PpPete

Legendary Member
Are we talking about the new "sloping top-tube" welded Galaxy?

The old style 531 lugged framed ones, the 21" would be OK for you, but depending on torso length you might want a shorter stem than standard.
My son rides one - he's only 11 y.o. and 5'4" so it really really is too big for him but he's happy enough.

However I don't think the sizing can be "read-across" to the newer ones at all because the geometry is very different.

D

Deleted member 1258

porkypete said:
Are we talking about the new "sloping top-tube" welded Galaxy?

The old style 531 lugged framed ones, the 21" would be OK for you, but depending on torso length you might want a shorter stem than standard.
My son rides one - he's only 11 y.o. and 5'4" so it really really is too big for him but he's happy enough.

However I don't think the sizing can be "read-across" to the newer ones at all because the geometry is very different.

I normally find I have to fit a shorter stem when I buy a bike, always have had to. In old money twenty one and a half was always about a right frame size, though I often could get away with a twenty two.

View attachment 5740

This was a twenty two inch frame. These days I look at top tube length as well as seat tube length.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome peterpotter.

I'm no expert at all, but I wanted to buy a completely different Dawes last year, and thought I could save some money by buying it on-line. I went through the same thing of getting advice about the right frame size. My advice is this....get down to your local bike shop and try out different sizes. Then buy it there. After-sales service is zero from on-line stores, and worth a huge amount.

Good luck.

Yes, you may have to travel to a LBS, but the journey will be shorter than the one to a web store.

Hello PeterPotter I am 5'7" tall and also have a 29" inside leg so a Galaxy would have been to big for me. So I went for a 48cm Dawes Horizion which also goes down to 43cm. Although I bought mine on Ebay my LBS has always been helpful with any problems.
P.S The Horizion was also about £400 cheaper than the basic Galaxy.

Top Bottom