Dawes Sardar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Hi guys , anyone out there got any views on the Dawes Sardar , the older version i e steel frame , drop bars ect , only got the chance to get one and it looks great so just after a bit of reasurance really .

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I like the look of them, but never had the chance to own one...

Sp4rkym4n

I've got one and it's a truly underated expedition bike. I've got a Surly Long Haul Trucker and a Sardar and I prefer the Sardar. It's got braze-on's for everything you could ever need including spare spoke holders. You can run it on V-brakes/Cantilevers or even disc brakes if you wish. The only downside is the front fork can only take a 1.75" tyre. You can get a 2" tyre on the rear fine though.

IMG_0048.jpg

videoman

Guru
I bought one earlier this year secondhand off fleabay and have been very pleased with it so far. Would love to try a touring holiday but that will have to wait until next year now but bike nice and comfy and use it on the road and canal tow paths with no problems at all. Mine has the steel 631 frame, drop bars and 27 speed with STI shifters and strong 26" wheels which give me the confidence to ride it off the beaten track but it is also slightly different from most other bikes you see.

Originally I was after a Galaxy but his came up and do not have any regrets at all. I will hopefully keep it indefinately as it does everything I want and could not think what to change it for if the opportunity arose.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Absolutely brilliant bike. Bomb proof and handles very well when heavily loaded. Every time I think of changing I come to the conclusion, why bother, as I don't think I'd get anything any better. I have changed the original wheels though. Like a previous poster said, braze ons for everything, even discs (which is another thing I am considering.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
Jerry Atrik

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Well Iv'e got it and im well pleased . I took it out for a spin with to full rear panniers and really hardly noticed them but as i say it was a short spin , to the LBS in fact . Since i smashed my arm and had it pinned and plated its gave me nothing but jip and i can't get on with drops . So anyway a quote for some butterfly bars and grips , a Deore thumb shifter set and brake levers and a personal fitting and labour roughly £120 to £130 which on the whole is rather good i think . I know it will spoil the unique lines of the bike but i need to be comfortable and cant wait to give it a real test soon . I will post a picture when the works done . Just thrilled to have a proper tourer at last .

OP
OP
Jerry Atrik

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Thanks Simon . Still appreciate the offer of your Ridgeback when my bike was stolen . The trek i used in Cornwall got me up some huge climbs fully loaded and didnt let me down but just felt there was something missing . So cant wait to test it .

thistler

Veteran
How much do these usually sell for second-hand?

Many thanks!

Thanks Simon . Still appreciate the offer of your Ridgeback when my bike was stolen . The trek i used in Cornwall got me up some huge climbs fully loaded and didnt let me down but just felt there was something missing . So cant wait to test it .

No problem Jerry ..

theres something very English and sedate about riding a steel framed tourer through the countryside
smile.gif
we'l have to get another Devon CC ride organised for you to show off your new pride and joy

Simon

Grandpa Granola

Hi guys , anyone out there got any views on the Dawes Sardar , the older version i e steel frame , drop bars ect , only got the chance to get one and it looks great so just after a bit of reasurance really .

I too have one which I bought about two years ago, it's absolutely superb, I can't think of a bike that I would be happy to replace it with. If you haven't already got it then GET IT NOW whilst it's still available.

All the best.

Top Bottom