Day Trips - Glasgow and West

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willie Erskine

Über Member
Got the chance to take the day off and do a run I've wanted to do for the last few weeks. Up until now I've stuck mainly to cycle paths, Loch Lomond, Lochwinnoch, Kilmacolm, Glasgow etc but wanted to try something with a bit more of a trip about it.
Weather was cold but clear so looked like the last chance of the year.
Headed into Paisley (5 miles) and got train (must look at timetable next time, just missed one so 55 min wait for next) down to Wemyss Bay. Look at the view across to Rothesay, and the only bike on the ferry, where was everyone? Aw working! Get the island hopscotch 2 ticket for £8.40. From there the ferry over to Rothesay and then a run up the coast to Rhubodach (8 mls).
North wind in my face the whole way but not too hilly so an easy scoot along.
Short ferry over to Colintraive and then up the coast taking a minor road (no cars but lots of short ups and downs) along Loch Ridden until I rejoin the A886. Bit more trafic along here until I reach the B836 turn off for Dunoon. Here the fun begins. Single track road but not too many boy racers, only 4x4 kamikaze pilots! What's the rush? Why get upset when I force you to stop cos you just passed the passing place, I'm on a hybrid not an MTB so no offroad for me.
A sore climb/walk up to the top but a stunning run down to Loch Striven. 38 mph on a hybrid with 16 stone on it without touching the pedals.
Another climb up to the dam at Loch Tarsan but from then on it's pretty level through Glen Lean and down to Sandbank then along to Dunoon (21 mls).
Just in time to miss the ferry so off for a well-deserved beer! Train up to Bishopton (should have done that on the way down, would have got the earlier train and ferry) and back home (4 mls).
All in 38 miles, dry but a cold north wind that seemed to be a southerly coming into Dunoon, must have been the sea!
Interested in hearing about any other similar trips in the area.

Attachments

• Photo-0080.jpg
    Photo-0080.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 113

ammwhite

Hi Willie,

I'm assuming you're in Erskine from your username? I live in Greenock, and have been planning to do the same route as you - just haven't gotten round to it yet.

Earlier in the year I did a circuit round Cowal (ferry to Dunoon, across to Otter Ferry, up Loch Fyne to Strachur, then back down to Dunoon). That was just over 50 miles and the road from Glendaruel to Otter Ferry takes in a very challenging climb! You can do various other variations in Cowal, including up to Ardentinney and over the hill. I've also thought about (but not done yet!) getting the ferry to Dunoon and cycling up and over Rest and Be Thankful and done to either Kilcreggan or Helensburgh for the ferry home.

I've also taken the ferry to Kilcreggan and cycled round the Rosneath peninsula (up to Coulport, over the hill to Garelochhead, then back down Gare Loch) with my wife and kids. You could also go

I quite regularly cycle the Old Largs Rd. from Greenock and have done that, then down the coast and over the Moor Road (another good climb) from Fairly to Dalry, then up to Lochwinnoch, Kilmalcolm and back to Greenock.

There are loads of nice quiet single track roads around Kilmalcolm, Bridge of Weir, Houston, Bishopton that are good for cycling ... during the summer, I occasionally cycle to work in Glasgow, via Kilmalcolm, either Bishopton or Houston, Inchinnan and Renfrew.

Coco

There are loads of nice quiet single track roads around Kilmalcolm, Bridge of Weir, Houston, Bishopton that are good for cycling ... during the summer, I occasionally cycle to work in Glasgow, via Kilmalcolm, either Bishopton or Houston, Inchinnan and Renfrew.

+1 That's my favourite cycling area. Lots of variety.

edwardd67

Willie

Im from Renfrew also use a hybrid and cycle a lot around Renfrewshire (Bishopton,Langbank,Houston and Kilmalcolm)
There are loads of quite roads around our area.
You could try cycling up by the Monkey house head for Houston then turn right up the West glen road towards Kilmalcolm you can pick up the the Cycletrack and follow it back to Paisley or vice versa? Round about 30 miles or so.

Pilgrim_uk

As a kid i use to do all those trips but on roads and pavement ( we still had the railways no tracks. Station at brookfield anybody?). After 25 years I bought a bike to do them all over again as well as get my lardy fat arse out into the fresh air.

Renfrew is good starting place as you can head off anywhere.

Willie

Im from Renfrew also use a hybrid and cycle a lot around Renfrewshire (Bishopton,Langbank,Houston and Kilmalcolm)
There are loads of quite roads around our area.
You could try cycling up by the Monkey house head for Houston then turn right up the West glen road towards Kilmalcolm you can pick up the the Cycletrack and follow it back to Paisley or vice versa? Round about 30 miles or so.

Ah the Monkey House! That's up by Formakin Estate isn't it? When I was younger I used to go out camping with friends in that area. Great times! (I used to live in Erskine). I've never cyled around there, but I bet there are some great rides in the area.

OP
OP
W

Willie Erskine

Über Member
Thanks Guys (I assume!)
I've been round a few of the local roads (need to keep the os map handy or I get lost and some of the roads dont seem to have junctions for 10 miles or so!)
Ammwhite - I'll have a look at the Otter Ferry area again although first glance at the "challenging climb" shows a summit of 318m. The top of the route I did was 149m and I walked most of that! I suppose with a bit of practice the hills will get easier/less hard.
I prefer the circular kinds of route to the there and back type, just ask my missus about the different ways back from Ullapool!

Thanks for the feedback.

zizou

Veteran
the cowal penisula is great for cycling - fairly quiet roads, decent surfaces and spectacular scenary. Amongst my favourite places for cycling

The hill to Otter Ferry (starting from Glendaruel i think it is) is one of the hardest climbs in Scotland (say in the top 20) but it is slightly easier doing it the other way coming up from Otter Ferry. Most prefer doing it the hard way though - not so much for the extra challenge but because the road is pretty winding that way and as a result the visibilty up ahead isn't great so there are a few blind corners that coming down at speed can be tricky.

Good tip with the ferry tickets over to dunoon is that if you go over on western ferries the newsagents in gourock sells the tickets for cheaper than buying on the ferry

Lots of good stuff in the area, i like doing a loop using the sustrans route - i take the bridge of weir / kilmacolm direction then instead of following it down to gourock go up the old largs road to largs then up the haylie brae and onto kilbirnie and rejoing the cycle track there. Its about 45-50 miles and has a couple of tough hills. The old largs road is good though, so close to greenock yet as soon as you are up hill you could be in the middle of nowhere. Good surface for road bikes, not many cars but there are also some dirt tracks up there too which would be suitable for hybrids and mountain bikes.

ammwhite

the cowal penisula is great for cycling - fairly quiet roads, decent surfaces and spectacular scenary. Amongst my favourite places for cycling

The hill to Otter Ferry (starting from Glendaruel i think it is) is one of the hardest climbs in Scotland (say in the top 20) but it is slightly easier doing it the other way coming up from Otter Ferry. Most prefer doing it the hard way though - not so much for the extra challenge but because the road is pretty winding that way and as a result the visibilty up ahead isn't great so there are a few blind corners that coming down at speed can be tricky.
It's a pretty tough climb - the only one I've tackled that is possibly tougher is Glen Quaich out of Kenmore. I've only done it from Glendaruel over to Otter Ferry, and I think that way would be preferable, as you say - plus the views over Loch Fyne as you descend into Otter Ferry are magnificent!

Good tip with the ferry tickets over to dunoon is that if you go over on western ferries the newsagents in gourock sells the tickets for cheaper than buying on the ferry
Thanks for that - I've used the Western Ferry several times and never new that. Always just bought a ticket on the ferry.

Lots of good stuff in the area, i like doing a loop using the sustrans route - i take the bridge of weir / kilmacolm direction then instead of following it down to gourock go up the old largs road to largs then up the haylie brae and onto kilbirnie and rejoing the cycle track there. Its about 45-50 miles and has a couple of tough hills. The old largs road is good though, so close to greenock yet as soon as you are up hill you could be in the middle of nowhere. Good surface for road bikes, not many cars but there are also some dirt tracks up there too which would be suitable for hybrids and mountain bikes.
I was on the Old Largs Rd yesterday. Would have liked to have gone down to Fairlie and over the Moor Rd (preferable to the Haylie Brae), then up the cycle path to Lochwinnoch etc... but I only ventured out at 3pm after watching the Old Firm game, so I had to settle for Old Largs Rd to Largs and back.

srj10

Guru
+1 for the Old Largs road and Lochwinnoch routes, great mix of cycling. A trip to Tighnabruaich is certainly worthwhile and also my favourite Arran. I have never tackled the Old Moor road, must give it a shot.

peelywally

why do car owners assume all cycles can go offroad And ride verges ,they wouldnt off road in a Hatchback Or would they ?Good post btw i ride the loch lomond route a lot via bowling good to hear of alternatives

peelywally

why do car owners assume all cycles can go offroad And ride verges ,they wouldnt off road in a Hatchback Or would they ?Good post btw i ride the loch lomond route a lot via bowling good to hear of alternatives

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Right I'm back. Been skulking away and got back out on bike to help with my weight/fitness. Went round the 3 ferries last weekend with my brother and managed 45.6mph on the downhill to Loch Striven. Still walked the 2 uphills but not as much as I did in 2010 so something is better (same bike, same legs)
I thought I'd missed this thread.
Port Glasgow (for now) here...
3 Ferries is a cracking ride, the run down Glen Lean to the top of the Holy Loch is something else.
Get up over the Rest and be Thankful, then down to Strachur then past Loch Eck and down the Holy Loch to Hunters Quay....

bruce1530

Guru
Saltcoats here, so a little further south.

I did the three ferries last year, in the opposite direction, which meant I got the hard bits over first. That climb out of Loch Striven was a killer!

Did the 5 ferries trip earlier this week. Would thoroughly recommend it.

Top Bottom