Dead badgers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Dead badgers by the roadside used to be a fairly regular occurrence when out and about audaxing in West and North Yorkshire.

I wasn't out as frequently as I used to be last year and didn't see any and I dont recall seeing any the year before that.

I used to describe my rides in terms of dead badgers i.e. a 'three badger ride'

This year, so far, I have seen only one.

Any one else observe a decline in badger corpse numbers?

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
since they learned to use ped crossings, badger fatalities have fallen rapidly

colly

Re member eR
I saw a dead one a couple of weeks ago but it was the first badger I'd seen for a long time.
The following week though I very nearly killed one myself when out on an evening ride.
I rounded a corner going down hill and there was one snuffling about in the middle of the carriageway. It froze in my lights and fortunately didn't bolt for the side of the road as I swerved around it.
If it had been a car he would have been a gonner.:sad:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I've seen three or four dead badgers at the roadside in the last couple of months, which is a lot more than normal, I don't remember seeing many around here (southeast of Glasgow).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A proportion are killed elsewhere and dumped at the roadside so they look like roadkill.

ushills

Veteran
There a three dead ones round by us (staffordshire) and the one I saw yesterday was huge.

Think I killed a rabbit yesterday poor thing went straight under my back wheel, saw him and felt the bump but he ran off, doubt he got far though. Felt terrible!

BSRU

A Human Being
There are a few badgers in the centre of Swindon digging up corpses at a local cemetery and the local council have stated they cannot do anything about them.

sunnyjim

Have you noticed an increase in the number of scotsmen as well?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-10865274

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I saw plenty of roadkill last summer, but could never fathom whether they were badgers - they were always too splattered to make out. Always thought they were squirrels or hare.

Mr Phoebus

A really hot day in the height of summer and I could smell a dead badger. xx(
Problem was it was still over a hundred metres away at the top of a climb.
I had to cycle the climb while only breathing in just enough to help get me past it. xx(

Top Bottom