Dead Pompini

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Well, for the second time in three months I have been hit by car whilst riding my fixed. The first time was a low speed impact but this time I managed to get hit travelling at 40km/h. I have already detailed yesterday's collision on another thread.
As you can see the damage to the top tube and down the tube is far more significant this time. Amazingly, the front rim does not appear to be damaged although it might need trueing. Given the impact velocity I think it is fair to say that the forks should not be used again.

Having now had two painful collisions with cars, I am concerned that the next time will be far more serious.

Maybe I should get a job as On-One's frame crash tester!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Good grief! Did you walk away from that one Will?

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Well I'm here - went to casualty to get cleaned up. I had x-rays as it looked like my left wrist could have been broken but it is just severe bruising and I can't do anything with it! Going back for a check on Tuesday. Typing one handed is slow with all the mistakes! I also got cuts to my left knee and I've lost skin off my right thigh/hip. I should be good enough for turbo work sooner than my wrist recovers. Unfortunately it means I won't be able to try out my birthday present tomorrow.
Amazingly my clothing all survived, including the indestructable Endura Singletrack trousers. Not a scratch on my helmet which is amazing - I roll well.

Driver was shocked and apologetic and took me to casualty and we sorted out insurance straightaway.

Tynan

Veteran
bleeding hell, you've done well to get off that lightly if that much force was involved

I sympathise with your feeling of doom, I've had enough nearlies of late to genuinely start questioning the odds too

rnscotch

Veteran
Omg how did you walk away from that kind sir!.. Someone above is watching over you.

I can't understand how the forks etc are not damaged? at what angle did he smack into you.

Those Pompini seem to have crumple zones!

I hope the insurance is sorted out fast. Don't let this knock your confidence. It's just plain old bad luck.

wafflycat

Ouch!

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
rnscotch said:
Omg how did you walk away from that kind sir!.. Someone above is watching over you.

I can't understand how the forks etc are not damaged? at what angle did he smack into you.
You might say that! I have no idea how only the frame has taken the damage this time. The first time, the front wheel buckled (hit the front of the car at a 45 degree angle); this time I went square on just behind the wheel arch. On both occasions I had right of way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bad luck matey - glad you are OK - total new forks....and frame..... proves carbon forks are pretty tough !!

Saw a mashed Lemond Filmore in a Manchester bike shop.....unfortunately that was the riders fault - too many pops, rode out in front of a car...various broken bones... mashed frame, forks, wheels, cranks..messy...

atbman

Veteran
You collision was the product of not having taken the Proficiency test. If you had, you would have been as incompetent as the driver and it would have been your fault instead. :biggrin:

Top Bottom