debit card fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
had my card details fraudulently used in, of all places, slough. fortunately, should it come to it, i have her majesty's coroner as a witness that i was on his jury at the time of the transaction.

bastards, and no, i haven't used a particular online cycling store recently…

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bugger....debit card as well - ouch.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
been in touch and money will be refunded (all £31), card cancelled (due a new visa one anyway) so not the end of the world, but you wonder where they got the details from…

last use of the card was to buy my tax disc online…

Bman

Guru
Had this happen to my Debit Card a few years back. ~$500 taken in early December. Would have been more but they (the bank) stopped the card number from working.

The thing is, I had already stopped using that number (and shredded the card) because they sent me a new one. IMO the number shouldnt have been valid for them to use.

I did get all the money back in early January.

bonj2

I was a bit worried the other day when i used a cash machine and the slot looked really beat up. should i report it I wonder?

bonj2

I can recommend halifax on security grounds - they told me I'd had fraudulent transactions before I even knew about it. Had some fraudulent transactions on my credit card and they simply didn't authorise them because something was amiss.
And another one was something to barking and dagenham council - i've never been to barking or dagenham in my life :sad: they just sent me a form to sign and issued a new card with a different number

Wigsie

Nincompoop
bonj said:
I was a bit worried the other day when i used a cash machine and the slot looked really beat up. should i report it I wonder?

Yes! Cash machines are where they swipe your details, they have scanners stuck onto the machine that looks like it belongs there... As you put your card in the details are recieved via laptop (they are usually in a car close by) my copper mate reckons they can have a duplicate card done within an hour or so.

If it looks funny dont tamper with it (mate did that and 4 guys jumped out the car and beat the c*ap out of him) just report it.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
I can recommend halifax on security grounds - they told me I'd had fraudulent transactions before I even knew about it. Had some fraudulent transactions on my credit card and they simply didn't authorise them because something was amiss.
And another one was something to barking and dagenham council - i've never been to barking or dagenham in my life :tongue: they just sent me a form to sign and issued a new card with a different number

funnily enough, i once had the card declined in the cash machine because the bank suspended it as i'd had a windfall and bought a new laptop, tumble drier and ipod on the internet. i was annoyed (i'd promised to buy the kids lunch in town), but relieved that they took security seriously. and in fairness, they have been cooperative thus far.

Wolf04

Bongman said:
Had this happen to my Debit Card a few years back. ~$500 taken in early December. Would have been more but they (the bank) stopped the card number from working.

The thing is, I had already stopped using that number (and shredded the card) because they sent me a new one. IMO the number shouldnt have been valid for them to use.

I did get all the money back in early January.

Same here on two occasions, defunct card being used. I did wonder if it was an inside job. Credit the bank (Poor choice of words) though they spotted it after two transactions both times. What I couldn't understand was on the second occasion both of the transactions were for online betting but don't see how they could collect any winnings? :tongue:

bonj2

Wigsie said:
Yes! Cash machines are where they swipe your details, they have scanners stuck onto the machine that looks like it belongs there... As you put your card in the details are recieved via laptop (they are usually in a car close by) my copper mate reckons they can have a duplicate card done within an hour or so.

If it looks funny dont tamper with it (mate did that and 4 guys jumped out the car and beat the c*ap out of him) just report it.

it didn't look like anything was stuck onto it, more like the slot had been whacked with a hammer a fair few times! Anyway i reported it and they dind't seem interested but said they'd "put a note on the account" to say i've told them about it, so i suppose if anything does happen they can see that i warned them about it...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Mine got done a few weeks ago... just after a spree of me buying bike components online from various sites! I am now paranoid to use some of them (apart from the ones I have used many times before, such as CRC & Ribble).

Gary D

alecstilleyedye said:
been in touch and money will be refunded (all £31), card cancelled (due a new visa one anyway) so not the end of the world, but you wonder where they got the details from…

last use of the card was to buy my tax disc online

OOIIIII !!!

You're a CYCLIST FFS................Didn't you know you do not pay tax?? ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry...................couldn't resist :blush: :blush:

Gary.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Gary D said:
OOIIIII !!!

You're a CYCLIST FFS................Didn't you know you do not pay tax?? ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry...................couldn't resist :blush: :blush:

Gary.

:biggrin: it's the wife that needs it (i use needs advisedly, she finishes evening shifts late in the evening and it's the safest way for her to get home).

i commute by bike EVERY day, illness permitting.

zacklaws

Guru
Been done a couple of times and always had my money refunded and through a very simple process. On one occasion it was only for a small amount, which would have gone unnoticed except I quieried my statement with the bank. First time the bank spotted it before I found out. My worst case scenarios are when I am doing a lot of spending away from home or I buy something expensive abroad, and suddenly find my card has been blocked by my bank as they suspect fraud.

Last time it happened a couple of years ago I was in a restaurant and tried to pay by card to find it had been blocked which was embarrasing, fortunatley I was well known in the restaurant but it took 15 minutes over the phone, late at night, being questioned by some foreigner abroad, probably India, who could hardly speak the Queens English questioning me over my spending habits. It boiled down to the fact that I had bought my son an expensive guitar in Germany online and my card was blocked. Now I have two cards which I take with me if I travel afar so I always have a backup account. Afar can be quite close too, spent a fortune in Newcastle one day and found my card blocked the next day. Being a creature of habit, I rarely go away so any excessive spending suddenly somewhere from my local vicinity sets the bells ringing in the bank to suspect foul play.

alecstilleyedye said:
had my card details fraudulently used in, of all places, slough. fortunately, should it come to it, i have her majesty's coroner as a witness that i was on his jury at the time of the transaction.

bastards, and no, i haven't used a particular online cycling store recently…

The card is the Banks (Look in the small print they say they own it)
The money is the Banks (At the time it was in their ownership)
The Bank arranges their own security for their accounts to enable their money to be passed on to you or someone else.

So as long as you did what you agreed to do or not do (ie did not write your pin number on the card etc) how is it ever down to you?

If someone walked in the bank with a gun and took the £100 you just put in there, is it your money? Course not.

They should be pleased you have told them they have been robbed.

Top Bottom