Decathlon or halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
For service alone Decathlon by a mile very helpful set the bike up well. The bikes in Halfords are fine its just the service that goes with it that lets them down.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Decathlon Rockrider was reviewed and voted best sub £500 hardtail in the summer.

GT and Spesh, all much of a muchness across all four types at that price point. Once you start upping the price point and specc to say £1000 Spesh leaves the rest behind. If you are looking around at that sort of money Halfords Boardman bikes knock the rest into the weeds for VFM.

At the lower end of the market I would say Decathlon bikes are built with better components than Halfords own make bikes. And I have more confidence in the mechanics at Decathlon than Halfords, although of course you can find good or bad workmanship anywhere.

Once you get up to, say £600 or £700 or more then the Halfords/Boardman bikes look pretty attractive...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looks like you may have your answer, but with some of their offers on at the moment, Halfords is still worth a look. Whatever you buy, and wherever you buy it, make sure it's put together properly before you ride it!

picking up a carrera "vengeance" in the morning(where do they get these names)as a winter bike.At present i have a dawes hybrid bought last winter that i have been very happy with and done over 1500 miles this year.However at £200 on the web for a bike that has been selling at over £400 for the rest of the year seems a good buy.Some of the trails in Wales need a mountain bike,however my other half says at 66 i,ll never get my wear out of it!Decathalon is agreat store if i was in my place in Brittany though i would not have had such a good deal.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- just wish Decathlon would open more stores - if you live in the SW or Wales you are stuffed! My nearest store is in Dudley - around 200 miles round trip.

Alan Whicker

I'd have bought a B'Twin Riverside from Decathlon if the top tube hadn't been erm, uncomfortably high. Great value, and the service I had from the staff at the Surrey Quays branch was brilliant. They really were very knowledgeable. And I love the way they just let you ride round the store until you're happy. I must say buying even minor items from Halfords (at the Mile End branch anyway) has always been a chore, and it certainly puts me off their bikes.

Top Bottom