decent front light for audax? - Is the Cateye Econom HL-EL340G Front LED Cycle Light any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bottlemsher

Über Member
I've used this light many times on audaxs

5-6 hours on full beam

and even longer on the dimmer setting
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+...hts/Rechargeable+Lights/RSP+Asteri+3_2083.htm

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of Cateye front lights. That strap type bracket is pants.

You don't say what distance Audaxes you intend....or what time of year. I'm sceptical as to whether any 2 x AA powered light will be bright enough/last long enough for the sort of unlit country lanes favored by many audaxes.

I find a Hope 1 bright enough on even the blackest night - and lasts long enough for me to finish a 200km even in January.
£57.59 at Evans - using their discount code NYDBATT - expires today. or Wiggle have it at £63

Another 4 x AA which is highly rated in the Audax community is the B&M Ixon IQ. Much cheaper if you buy it direct from one of the German on line retailers such as Rose Versand or Bike 24. I've not tried that one.... but I might if Evans dont deliver on the Hope I've ordered for OH.

I'm not a fan of Cateye front lights. That strap type bracket is pants.

You don't say what distance Audaxes you intend....or what time of year. I'm sceptical as to whether any 2 x AA powered light will be bright enough/last long enough for the sort of unlit country lanes favored by many audaxes.

I find a Hope 1 bright enough on even the blackest night - and lasts long enough for me to finish a 200km even in January.
£57.59 at Evans - using their discount code NYDBATT - expires today. or Wiggle have it at £63

Another 4 x AA which is highly rated in the Audax community is the B&M Ixon IQ. Much cheaper if you buy it direct from one of the German on line retailers such as Rose Versand or Bike 24. I've not tried that one.... but I might if Evans dont deliver on the Hope I've ordered for OH.

I don't know much about Audax's but I got the B&M Ixon IQ from Bike 24 (quick to deliver via DHL) about £50. I use it down mostly unlit country roads and tracks, good beam pattern, much like a motorbike, the lower setting, enough to see by, lasts for ages (20 hours claimed) and the higher setting lasts for 5 hours, then it will automatically change to the lower light setting for 2 hours I think....rather than just switch off, which I heard the HOPE does.

Top Bottom