Decent slick road tyres in 700x35

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calibanzwei

Afternoon all,
As per thread title really - looking at replacing the stock Kenda's on my Dawes hybrid with something a little quicker, however was looking at spending not more than 15-20 for each... not having much luck with wiggle/tredz, any suggestions?

Cheers
Colin

Would you consider going a little narrower, 35mm CRC have got Schwalbe Kojaks for £22, if thats too much perhaps they have something else on their site? I usually find them cheaper than Wiggle, another site i've used is Probikekit they might have something at the right price.

smiorgan

Cheers guys - those Kojaks look scary, but the Vittoria's look like they'd suit me to a tee. Better than the Kenda Holidays that came with the Dawes.

The kojaks are excellent. I have a pair on my cross check, and I've ridden them in all weathers. I thought they'd been discontinued.

If you think they look scary because of the lack of tread - this isn't a problem at all. Good 23mm wide tyres have plenty of grip on the road with no tread to speak of.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The kojaks are excellent. I have a pair on my cross check, and I've ridden them in all weathers. I thought they'd been discontinued.

If you think they look scary because of the lack of tread - this isn't a problem at all. Good 23mm wide tyres have plenty of grip on the road with no tread to speak of.

+1 for road riding you do not need a tread as you are not going to aquaplane or skid, in fact on ice slicks are better as you have more rubber in contact with the road.The only time you would need a knobbly tyre would be for off road or snow.

I ride Continental Gator skins 700x 23 and i have never had a slip that was caused by lack of grip under normal riding conditions, i did fall off in winter but that was black ice.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A friend of mine had a hybrid with something like those Kendas....I lent him a decent handbuilt front wheel with a 23mm slick to help with his speed. He was sceptical about grip at first.... but he's never had an issue, and he came back a couple of weeks later begging me for a matching rear wheel. I can't get him away from 23s now... even though the bike looks effing silly with them on.

If your rims will take 25s -these are stonkingly good value

The best tyres I've ever used were 700C * 19 slicks, they were crazy fast and had exceptional stopping and cornering ability.

They were even better than my current Krylions which are super grippy.

Jezston

Über Member
You don't need to disperse water with tread for bicycle tyres. There's no need for grooves for road use, wet or dry.

Go on ...

I was under the impression grooves were good for wet surfaces also - water disperses through the channels giving you more grip.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Top Bottom