Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebuddy

Über Member
Greetings from Lanarkshire,

Needing another cyclists point of view / opinion.

My pride and joy, specialized tricross sport was recently " taken out " by a motorist!!, I am on the mend, but it is in bits in the shed. Costly repairs required. (awaiting compensation to repair it). In the meantime, I wish to purchase something else for the commute to work and long days off just enjoying the cycling and the mileage. No racing involved. The light touring can wait till tricross is fixed up or replaced with this years model.

now the dilemma! LBS or online?

My interest is for something like the specialized secteur. BUT i'm not too overly enthusiastic for the paint job. Its a bike that I would have a go on, but hand back afterwards. Wiggle is looking good for the Verenti Kilmeston. But........ it looks too much like my tricross sport which is white with black bar tape.

Budget around £600 - £850 ish...... Scottish weather says mudguards would be nice. Would like a relaxed sit up position.

Who can help with the dilemma?

lejogger

Guru
Verenti looks pretty nice actually. Have you looked at the Boardman Comp?

There not as good as full mudguards I think but if I was looking for a new bike I think I'd get crud road guards and increase my options. As regard to your dilemma, I prefer a bike shop to online as I like to see my bike in the flesh first and get sized up properly that verenti looks nice though :wacko: :rolleyes:

Evil Rabbit

You describe this as very much an interim, secondary bike, so why get something new, get a S/H?

S/H prices are the lowest I have seen for years - there are loads of road bikes around for way less than that budget. You could even get a S/H tricross and use any monies coming to you on a right fancy carbon or Ti machine.

doog

I agree just use the money to order parts online and fix your tricross, with that sort of budget you could really upgrade it big time. Whats the damage? (or do you just want another new bike :biggrin: )

OP
OP
Somebuddy

Somebuddy

Über Member
Thanx for replies.

Boardman Comp looks nice.......but its the old "halfords" phobia.
Second hand I don't fancy. Buying something that someone else doesn't want. mmmm I just wouldn't love it as much.
and I was planning on getting it on the visa!

Re fixing the tricross........ I feel hard done by, that someone else has spoiled my bike and I need to pay out £500 to fix it, to be left with a bike that is
half old and half new components. and doog I don't feel confident repairing it myself. Needs a lot doing to it. LBS quote £500. Everything except frame handlebars and saddle. Plus the tricross has to stay as it is still the property of cyclescheme...!!!!

I'd quite happily repair or replace the tricross if the person who hit me was paying. Thats another story. Insurance companies take sooooooo long.
Oh I feel a whinge coming on.....

You do have me thinking tho. Should I bite the bullet and pay out my own pocket for the tricross to be repaired (even tho this years tricross sport is even nicer). May be cheaper in the long run.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Re fixing the tricross........ I feel hard done by, that someone else has spoiled my bike and I need to pay out £500 to fix it, to be left with a bike that is
half old and half new components. and doog I don't feel confident repairing it myself. Needs a lot doing to it. LBS quote £500. Everything except frame handlebars and saddle. Plus the tricross has to stay as it is still the property of cyclescheme...!!!!

I'd quite happily repair or replace the tricross if the person who hit me was paying. Thats another story. Insurance companies take sooooooo long.
Oh I feel a whinge coming on.....

They have to pay up in the end in the first place, so you might as well as fix it. This is what i have done when i'm involved in an RTC, just keep all the receipts and it's easy to get the money back, you only make the process longer by not doing it this way.

BTW if you got your bike on the cycle scheme, you need to make your employer aware of the damage and what your plan of action is with it. Whilst the bike is not technically owned by you, you are still responsible for repairing damage to it.

OP
OP
Somebuddy

Somebuddy

Über Member
Gaz, they pay up if they were insured.......! ma'lad was disqualified at the time.

Top Bottom