Decisions Decisions ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
9 months ago I thought I may not ever cycle again.
Feeling so much stronger now so keen to get riding again. Gave my bike to my son so am bikeless :sad:.
1. Ribble flat bar.
Ticks most boxes BUT mid July delivery.
2. Boardman flatbar. Also looks good and (apparently) in stock.

Ribble is 13.5 Kg
Boardman is 16.5 Kg.
Yep.....decisions decisions.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Bike bud has a moustache bike 17.8kg and it goes like stink. Too big for me by far but I have had a couple of twizzles around the block on it. The weight isn’t that noticeable unless I am helping get it in the car. Wheels and battery off, is the trick there.
What I am saying badly is not to worry about a kg here and there.

Have you tried both out?
the best bike is one you like riding - so if the heavier one feels better you will ride it more

On the other hand - it is better to have a bike and ride it - than be waiting for a bike. And you will waste several months of riding.

Personally I would go for something I can get - with the current situaion anything you will have to wait for could easily get pushed back more

si_c

Guru
Assuming you're still looking at ebikes, I'd say there won't be much difference based just on weight given that they are assisted.

If you're desperate to get out sooner rather than later and the Boardman is available now, get a test ride and if you like it, get it, no point holding out for a bike you may not like when it arrives.

eBikes are likely to retain value as well, so if you decide you want to sell it on and get something else later that shouldn't be too difficult.

si_c

Guru
Also the two bikes have very different drive systems, so there's that.

This link might shed some light on things, reading that I'd lean towards the Boardman with the Fazua personally, not least because you can take the motor and battery out and have just a regular bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm suspicious of a fully set up, ready to ride ebike at a claimed 13.5kg, unless its an oompa loompa frame size.

I think you need to decide what attributes are essential, what are desirable, the use to which you intend to put it, and draw up a shortlist of machines with those characteristics, and then try them. The scattergun approach, or choosing to a budget instead of a requirement, rarely ends with the rider on the best, most suitable machine they could have got for their money.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
I'm suspicious of a fully set up, ready to ride ebike at a claimed 13.5kg, unless its an oompa loompa frame size.

Why don't you believe it? 11.4kg for Ribble with Di2 in Medium size.

View: https://youtu.be/wDVwAuyST68

Under 11kg is now possible, but for a price ofcourse, though given 5 figure halo road bikes is fast becoming the norm for all brands, an eBike for under £10k might be classed as 'value for money' when applying man maths :smile:.

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-addict-eride-premium-bike?article=280747007

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

I think you need to decide what attributes are essential, what are desirable, the use to which you intend to put it, and draw up a shortlist of machines with those characteristics, and then try them. The scattergun approach, or choosing to a budget instead of a requirement, rarely ends with the rider on the best, most suitable machine they could have got for their money.
Got my short list of 2.
Ribble.......is No1 but a July delivery
Boardman. Available BUT I am far from technical/mechanical and I worry about the Halfords horror stories.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The Orbea Vibe has the same motor/battery combo as the Ribble.

It's in stock at e-bikeshop in Farnham.

They've been around a lot of years and are known to be reliable, so if they say they have the bike you can believe it.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Orbea-Vibe-H30-Alloy-2021
Thanks for that.
They 'appear' to be approx £400 dearer like for like.....not the end of the world.
Personally I need to at least sit on it before spending £2,000 +.
The nearest stockists to me is 10 miles ago but the phone line is dead.

Top Bottom