Dedicated bike GPS or Phone app?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

Went looking today and found no justification for buying a separate unit, except as an interim. I’m surprised by the support the traditional units have. it certainly depends uop whether you like the app or not, but, in terms of accuracy didn’t find anywhere the phone wasn’t equal to the task. Yes, the case can take the edge they have over traditional units in terms of response to button presses, but realistically how long do you spend pushing buttons when cycling?

I use an iphone 6s plus apple watch, which is great for strava plus health monitoring activities, at least, the newer ones are. However, irrespective, i still take, where they exist, maps showing relief. Google map is usually more than good enough, but sometimes their routes can lead to unmade roads climbing up a mountainside :smile:

Memo to self: must try komoot .

Last edited:
OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

Thank you everybody! You’ve all given some really good and seriously useful information; superb!
I think I’ll go down the dedicated unit route as it simply makes sense to have the phone as a backup but more importantly to make a call if things go awry.
I’ll take a very serious look at the etrex and also research the first GPSmap unit too.

Cheers everyone!!!

KneesUp

Guru
I discovered today that there is such a thing as a battery-case for phones - essentially a case with a built in battery, which doubles the battery life. You can even get waterproof versions. So if you already have a phone, the best option might be to get one of them for it. I think if I were to buy a dedicated device I'd get one of the Garmin eTrex range or similar.

Edit - remember that temperature affects battery life too. The battery in my phone is knackered. If I bar mount it it has been known to switch itself off before getting to work in winter, and that's a 15-20 minute ride. If I put it in my pocket it still tracks it, and 'only' uses about 15% of the battery in 20 mins. Must get that sorted ...

Roadie56

Also depends on having a reliable mount for your phone. I used phone for a while but didn't like any of the waterproof cases and it was less neat than a Garmin unit. I bought an 810 on ebay which worked great but upgraded to the 1000 for the bigger screen and better maps. Still a lot nearer and more secure on the bike and,, as others have said, my phone stays safe in a pocket and is always there as backup.

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

To close and for anyone following this in the same situation, I bought the Garmin eTrex 30x:

1. Phone stays out of the way and can be used fro backup or for an emergency call without battery concerns
2. I have a dedicated GPS on my bike that stays there and the batteries last a LONG tme.
3. Guaranteed waterproof
4. I omitted the touchscreen models for 2 reasons: A. Can use with cold hands or gloves, B. No interference from rain water when using the device.

Good call by the person with regards to using the backpack mount on the stem as it's all tethered and easily removed etc. Decathlon are selling the eTrex 30X the cheapest online INCLUDING the backpack mount! TrekInn are the cheapest by a stupid amount which sets off alarms BUT the reviews confirm some dodgyness.

+1

I think the mount is very good but nothing is foolproof.

Eventually my 20 bounced off on a particularly bad bit of road.

The Etrex's are tough things and initially I thought it was undamaged but then found it had caused a button issue so had to get a reconditioned one from Garmin. I ALWAYS use the lanyard now - no great problem.

D

Deleted member 23692

Defo get a landyard, but (touch wood) I've never had one come out of any of my genuine Garmin mounts - that's 5 mounts on 5 bikes (of which 3 go off road). Cheapo Chinese copies are another matter and will happily eject at the slightest surface defect

Have fun with your etrex eversoich.

Now the, er, fun, begins.

They are great but you have maybe discovered by now that you have to put a lot of effort in initially to get the best out of them - very poor user info. Feel free to start new threads for help.

Top Bottom