Delia bleedin' Smith

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
She gets on my wick and what are the BBC doing making a cooking programme about cooking programmes?
I hate Gary Rhodes even more mind, so I hope they don't make one about him.
Don't start me on that rude pompous tw*t Rick Stein.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Horrible woman that Delia. I like Rick Stein, love his recipies. Gordon Ramasey I can't stand. Caught a programme with him when he was in India last week. Really no nead to keep effin and blindin' at his Indian Femail host.. not very nice at all. Had to turn over as it was so cringe worthy.

Gary likes you though Rich

garyrhodesPA280405_300x450.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rick Stein's great. Absolutely my fave and not at all pompous, in fact I'd say the opposite.
Delia has her place in TV cheffing history, her recipies are pretty foolproof and innocuous enough to have mass appeal. My main gripe is thet she makes here recipes far more complex than they need to be. See Pru-Leith Cookery Bible for good basic cooking rather than Delia.
Jamie's good too, his recipies are excellent and easy peasy.

Can't be bothered with the rest though.

ianrauk said:
Tollers... how did you know about that pic? Been keeping it put by for a post like this eh? xx(

I was actually planning on defending him for being one of the few chefs who believe in healthy lifestyle and exercise.....but he's a abit of a douchebag, so a quick yahoo search yielded the pic from doucheoftheday.co.uk.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tollers said:
Gary likes you though Rich

garyrhodesPA280405_300x450.jpg

Did you photoshop his head onto your body Tollers?xx(

Actually I like Delia's books for a novice cook like me, she's just boring on telly.

I felt like a rant, Snorri, you're right:laugh:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'Delia'? That's Saint Delia to you.

If you want to loath a tv cook, how can you miss Anthony Worrall Bumhole? Ugh!

Tollers said:
I was actually planning on defending him for being one of the few chefs who believe in healthy lifestyle and exercise.....but he's a abit of a douchebag, so a quick yahoo search yielded the pic from doucheoftheday.co.uk.

Wasn't he exposed for being sponsored by Tate and Lyle and promoting lots of sugar in his dishes?

Just watched Delia, it was quite fun seeing life in the 80s - you forget how much it has changed!

thomas

the tank engine
ianrauk said:
Horrible woman that Delia. I like Rick Stein, love his recipies. Gordon Ramasey I can't stand. Caught a programme with him when he was in India last week. Really no nead to keep effin and blindin' at his Indian Femail host.. not very nice at all. Had to turn over as it was so cringe worthy.

Did you see Rick Stein's south east asian tour (I can't remember what it was called...was on the Beeb last year). I caught Ramsey's Indian thing and did find him embarrassing. However, if you saw Stein going around Thailand and Vietnam (the only two I watched) I found him to be pretty pompous and rude too. Not with swearing, but in different ways.

Maybe I'm just being picky because I've been there, but if you are doing a cooking show abroad it may pay to have the few odd phrases. In Thailand he's talking (at) to a street cook saying how nice it is and she says, a few times "amoy mak mak" (delicious, very very) and he ignores until she said it in English. In Vietnam I was a little put out at the places he stayed in and some part with this classic car, driving around (I think) Hanoi as if it was the most common thing to do.

In my opinion, he just wasn't very polite to the locals....even though he had this big whine about not eating dog or snake as it's offensive.

The Top Gear Vietnam special did a much better job of showing the fantastic country that is Vietnam.

*old fart mode over*

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That is what I dislike about Rick Stein too, Thomas. There was one incident in a large barn of a place where lots of curries were being cooked on fires and the head chef was trying to show him something and RS brushed him aside and said something derogative to the chef and to camera.

He also had an embarrassingly sycophantic biopic about himself on TV about a year ago.

Rick Stein xx(
A W Thompson xx(
Delia Smith :thumbsup: - always appreciate a pathfinder.
John Burton not the human Race xx(xx(
Gordon Ramsay :wacko:
Jamie Oliver :wacko:
James Saturday Morning :wacko:
Graham Kerr :laugh:
Fanny Craddock :tongue:
Atul Kochhar :thumbsup:
Rachel Allen - she makes nice afters :becool:
giada-delaurentiis-3-08073.jpg

Giada Delaurentiis - American Italian - she has a way of squashing your plum tomatoes and she is bound to put in an appearance sooner or later in the UK.:becool:
(All my culinary info has been gleaned from repeats and snippets...but I did watch Oz Clarke cooking something with James May during a wine programme and...don't get me started on that stooge fest smuggery.)

Has beens on toast for dinner again then? ;)

lukesdad

When I was ayoung apprentice in london Delia used to come to our kitchen for filming sequences. We d spend half the bloody day doing her prep, instead of what we should have been doing she d swan in do her bit did nt get her hands dirty then swan off again and not even acknowledge us.

Top Bottom