Dent in Aluminium crossbar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Macka

Hi,
While working on my bike, had a bike of an accident which resulted in a dent along the aluminium crossbar. Feel like a right idiot!
There is no creasing or cracking just a smooth dent about 3 cm long and not too deep. I really doubt that it has caused any structural damage but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in maybe pulling the dent out or another way of getting it out, even a bit.
Thanks
Steve

NickM

Veteran
I would have thought it inadvisable to try and remove a dent from an aluminium frame. Aluminium, with its limited fatigue life, does not like being "worked". I would leave well alone, except for regular inspection in case the dent eventually results in a crack.

PS I sympathise - we've all had butter-fingered moments :biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
annoying innoit - I've probalby scrached my bikes more doing maintenance or laoding in and out of car than in crashes!!!

cannot see how you can pull this out - either drill a hole and put a self-tapping in - NOT advisable as you end up with a hole or the way I would attempt it is to takae a short steel bar and drill it to take a number of bolts; then gule the bolt heads using some strong epoxy glue, fit nuts to the bolts and as you do up the bolts, they will pull on the dent - you would need some rubber around the tube to spread the load so as not to create more dents.

I doubt you'll weaken the tube, if you were to dent nad pull the dent out 20 times, then you would have a problem.note that you may result in pulling the paint off the tube.

or use filler to fill it in and then paint.

OP
OP
M

Macka

02GF74 said:

Thanks for the advice, interesting idea about the filler, anyone any recommendation?

As I said i dont' think any real damage done, just really annoyed that my nice bike has a dent in it!!! grrrr.
Or does anyone have a time machine I could borrow and ill go back and not bash it!

02GF74

Über Member
bear in mind it will be very difficult to find paint that matches to make an invisible repair ... but you could just paint a band round the tube or hide with a sticker - won't look so good if there is a manufacturers logo on the spot and sod's law being what it is, it wll be. (

do you have a photo so we can laugh advise?

OP
OP
M

Macka

02GF74 said:
bear in mind it will be very difficult to find paint that matches to make an invisible repair ... but you could just paint a band round the tube or hide with a sticker - won't look so good if there is a manufacturers logo on the spot and sod's law being what it is, it wll be. (

do you have a photo so we can laugh advise?

Don't have a pic, I want to cry when I look at it!!!

I think i could easily disguise the area, have frame stickers still.
Any suggestions on a filler?

Mr Pig

02GF74 said:

That's what I'd do. Even if you pulled it out you'd still have to do that anyway. Or you could just put a big sticker over it!

I remember when I bought by current bike. The shop had one that had a dent in the top tube that they offered money off on. I said 'In a years time I'll have forgotten all about the few quid I saved but the dent will still annoy me every day!'

I do sympathise mate, it's a kick in the nuts. :0(

e-rider

crappy member
don't fill it - it will look awful and it' will be impossible to make a decent job of it.

my advice, just leave it

just think, you might have a big crash soon and put 5 more dents along with a load of scratches and then it'll be all forgotten.

just don't do it again!

Mr Pig

It's one of the reasons I hate trusting my bike to a bike shop. I've yet to see a tidy one and I would crack up if they dented my bike!

Leave it well alone. Bend an aluminum alloy component once (within limits) and it'll retain most of it's strength but bend it back and it'll suffer a substantial reduction in it's structural integrity. Think Uri Geller.

a friend that i ride with has a 2 inch dent in the top tube of a principia, really nice bike, it's been like that for the last three years and it's got no worse. For what it's worth I'd say leave it well alone; just make sure you check for any cracks on a regular basis.

Windy

Proto

Legendary Member
tundragumski said:
don't fill it - it will look awful and it' will be impossible to make a decent job of it.

my advice, just leave it

+1

Currently riding a Fuji Team Issue alum bike. Two small but lovely dents on the top tube, one either side, the result of two separate bike falling over/wall interface incidents.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Just leave the dent. It can be a talking point on the bike. If someone asks, make up a story.
When i first got my kayak, i put it on my shoudler and walked out the shop with it. The door closed slightly and i put a small scratch on the hull of the boat.
If i still had that boat, i could probably still point that scratch out, amond the many scratches that was on the bottom of the boat.
Leave the dent i say

Top Bottom