Dentistry - the least stressful profession?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was mulling over this question in my local last night over a pint or two of Copper Dragon Best Bitter.

We all hear about how the medical professions are generally stressed and I don't think we would dispute that. But what of dentists? Do they ever suffer professional stress? What can be stressful about filling in holes in people's teeth? Do you think a dentist goes home worrying about the fillings he or she did that day? At the same time dentists have the reputation of being extremely rich, don't they? How did I miss this point when I drifted by default into my present line of work? Maybe I'm not a dentist because I'm just too stupid to realise what a great life dentists enjoy?

(Would carry on but the lubricating effects of the pectin in that beer are asserting themselves...... gotta run.....)

See you again in six months RR...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They don't get rich unless they go private. My bro is a dentist, his salary at the moment is no more than most graduates get - he's planning to practice in hospitals though, at the 'orible end of the spectrum......(i.e. the folk with the real problems....)

Probably not a stressful job as such, but I suppose if you are the main partner, you've got the business to run also. There is a fair amount of responsibility with administering anaesthetic, and removing/repairing teeth properly - not something I'd want to do.....

One of the dentists at our family practice fubared two of my wife's teeth - doing root canal treatment - drilled through her tooth, lead to abscess and tooth being removed. Spent about £4k having an implant done, and another £500 on a crown for another tooth - she also took legal action against the dentist as he'd made a right cock up. She won. Said dentist is no longer at the practice.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love my denstist, a young very pretty indian lady....Look forward to my 6 monthly visits to get my gnashers given the once over...I even get to call her by her first name Rosie..

Dentist stalking? is there such a thing

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My Bro-in-Law is a dentist. His house is worth about a million, he drives a porche carerra and has a Merc 4x4 for the Wife. He owns the Practice and is minted. Nice enough fella, always on courses for Dentistry and works silly hours.. but I guess this is mostly due to owning the place and wanting to set himself up for retirement at about 40/45.

He bought himself a Rolex a few years ago as he's always wanted one. He negotiated a good deal for paying cash, getting £1K off the price... so how much did he pay for it?????

ChrisKH

Guru
Sh4rkyBloke said:
My Bro-in-Law is a dentist. His house is worth about a million, he drives a porche carerra and has a Merc 4x4 for the Wife. He owns the Practice and is minted. Nice enough fella, always on courses for Dentistry and works silly hours.. but I guess this is mostly due to owning the place and wanting to set himself up for retirement at about 40/45.

He bought himself a Rolex a few years ago as he's always wanted one. He negotiated a good deal for paying cash, getting £1K off the price... so how much did he pay for it?????

£10,250.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I think it all depends on the type of dentist.... Sharky's Bro in law is obviously the plastic surgeon of the dentist world! But I would hate to be an on call Dentist in a Hospital!

I think my job is the cushiest in the world not just because I dont have to put my hands inside old peoples mouths.

Proto

Legendary Member
Dunno about any of that but I do know that my middle daughter has just been rejected by four dental schools. She has the grades - two As and a B, (maths, chemistry, biology). She got interviews at Birmingham, Sheffield and Liverpool, nothing from Newcastle, and ulitimately turned down by the lot. Ferocious competition, something like 1000 applicants for 50 places.

So she's off to Bath to do Chemistry.

Slightly relieved to be honest. I can't think of a worse profession, except possibly shoe salseman. Money might be good but that's about it. I've heard that there is a very high rate of suicide for dentists.

yenrod

Aperitif said:
See you again in six months RR...

You must be doing well :evil:

:blush:

yenrod

Then again, when I go the dentists - its injection, 5-10min in the waiting room (watching the plasma :blush: ) then drill the old filling out - new one in...

~ Sorted.

£50 less outta my wallet :evil:

I'd be a dentist, no worries, even if I have a situation with blood - i'd overcome that in some way for their annual income

Proto

Legendary Member
Not like my daughter is a one trick pony either. A good all-rounder, plays 1st team Hockey for an Oxford side, 1st team football for school,and a local village team, has entered a couple of 4th cat road races, passionate about music, plays the guitar reasonably well, and a more than decent artist.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I knew someone who gave up being a dentist, just got cheesed off with other dentists. Dentists do earn a lot of money it just depends who you are comparing them too. They'll certainly earn more on average than some of the things people are comparing them to on this thread.

Top Bottom