Derailleurs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iain p

As i've been looking into a new bike and comparing the equipment on each i was wondering if someone could let me know ( in order ) worst - best derailleurs. To be honest this is more of having an interest to know.. than a necessity :rolleyes: . I fear i may turn into a geek :biggrin:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Are you talking MTB or Road Bike?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In performance terms you could not tell the difference between Xenon/Record or Sora/Dura Ace. The mech is just a slave unit and the shift is controlled by the shifter and cable. The difference in the mechs is down to lighter materials and better bearings on the more expensive ones.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
in the shimano range, anything from tiagra up (with the exception of the electronic stuff) differs only in materials used (lighter as you go up the range), rather than the design.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
In performance terms you could not tell the difference between Xenon/Record or Sora/Dura Ace. The mech is just a slave unit and the shift is controlled by the shifter and cable. The difference in the mechs is down to lighter materials and better bearings on the more expensive ones.

I have professed this several times on this forum. The problem is the more gullible still think otherwise. Save your money for a better frame or wheels.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Thought 2300 was below Sora?

I forgot about it :blush:

TBH, I've never actually seen 2300 for sale as compoonents. On bikes, yes, but not as bits.

And (as has been said) you're better off with a good frame and wheels, and sod the components. My Carbon uberbike(when I built it) was a £350 frame (down from £700), £130 handbuilt wheels, and £130 worth of Sora groupset. And I took it up Ventoux. :biggrin:

Fattman

There are another couple of factors than just 'performance' - reliability & longevity.

The lighter/more rigid etc. materials as you move up the range combined with (possibly?) better manufacturing and finer tolerances could suggest improvements in these at the top-end.

Our LBS, however, has a low opinion of Dura-Ace for The Common Man (as opposed to The Racing Man) because it is so finely crafted that it's not so hot on taking abuse from sub-optimal maintenance/being dropped.

You are indeed probably best off starting from the shifters and working down the drivetrain; having experienced new Ultegra vs Tiagra, the former is much better than the latter (though the latter is actually pretty darn good).

Matt

Top Bottom