Difference between 1st '10' and Road Bike '10'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going to enter my first 10TTs this year and next thursday is down for the 1st '10' (as they put it) so never thought any different. But my club posted up the Road Bike '10' which is on the TT course (and set off in intervals) which is THIS thursday - no reply from them yet, and its tomorrow so wanting to ask here.

What's the difference, if any?

It sounds like a season starter of some kind... ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would think a "Road Bike 10" is restricted to traditional road bikes, no aero bars or disc wheels etc.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

That is what I was thinking, and did type it above (magic forums).

Also explains why last years results are much lower on the same course vs the TT bikes...

oldroadman

Veteran
As you say it's your first event, and if you have a conventional road bike, then why not? You'll soon find out where you are in terms of fitness. The actual time is of little consequence, it's the differentials with other riders that matter (e.g. 3 minutes slower than the winner, 1 minute slower/faster than the field median).
The differences will still be about the same percentage wise on a TT bike when everyone else is on TT bikes.
Just enjoy the suffering (you will suffer if you race properly, all teh way!!), and see how you go. Best of luck!

Brahan

Über Member
Yeah! Cool! Excellent! The only decent piece of advice that I can possibly be qualified to pass on, whether you want it or not, is to try and make sure you know the route. Most of the time you're on your own and although routes are never too complicated, there are not really many folk around to point you in the right direction, unless it's marshalled. You want to think about riding as fast as you can, not wondering if you've gone off course or not.

Best of luck. I look forward to reading your write up
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Route was a concern of mine prior, as I had trouble finding the actual route even if I had the course ID, though found them described now - and with google street view, it means I can have a mental image of the turns (first course is a left turn circuit).

Out of the main 4 courses, I know 2 of them already and im not looking forward to the one, the road surface is terrible!

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

21.64miles @ 19.9mph

That's more than 10 miles I hear you say? OOPPPS ****ING OPPS

Assumed a road through a village at 3 miles was straight through (looks like it on a map) but alas it's left. So I did 7 miles out of the way only really twigged something was wrong around the 9ish mark but went on for the 10 before I decided to return, and had to retrace as there wasn't any obvious detours and I have no knowledge of this area.

:/

Brahan

Über Member
I'm trying do hard not to laugh. Everyone's done it mate, don't stress.

I am also resisting the urge to shout, I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU KNEW THE FLIPPING COURSE BEFORE HAND, so I won't. ;)

Best of luck next week.

oldroadman

Veteran
21.64miles @ 19.9mph

Assumed a road through a village at 3 miles was straight through (looks like it on a map) but alas it's left. So I did 7 miles out of the way only really twigged something was wrong around the 9ish mark but went on for the 10 before I decided to return, and had to retrace as there wasn't any obvious detours and I have no knowledge of this area.

We all have to do it once. No worries unless you do it again!
No marshals to at least point the way, then, or did you miss 'em and were trying so hard the shouts went unheded? Ther's always another event.....

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

We all have to do it once. No worries unless you do it again!
No marshals to at least point the way, then, or did you miss 'em and were trying so hard the shouts went unheded? Ther's always another event.....

No marshals. Same course again tonight - I know exactly where I went wrong now.

:tongue:

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I've redeemed myself, no official time yet, but Mr GPS says 27:31 ( -starting it a few seconds early).

This week though - they had route cards to hand out, and a Marshal standing at said junction to point the way :blush:

edit: official time is 27:21

Dagworth

21.64miles @ 19.9mph

I did this once in a national championship 25, the embarrassment. I had to put up with winning the `orienteering award' at the next club dinner!

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I've learnt my lesson, it wont happen again. The other courses are simple ones and completed my 2nd TT last night with a 26:34.

Top Bottom