Different attitudes

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Drago, 6 Jul 2019.

1. I once thought that was going to happen to my son: he was six months old at the time. Although we didn't have a car back then either, it does make you see things very differently.

As an aside, I've never seen an ambulance move as fast as the one coming to our apartment that day.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2019
    Drago and Blue Hills like this.
  2. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Fair enough. A lot of drivers are still pre-revelation though.

Pat "5mph" and Littgull like this.
  3. Stephenite

Stephenite Membå

Hurrah!

Some good news for a change.

Pat "5mph", Drago, Vantage and 3 others like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Reformed environmentalists are worse than reformed smokers, and I'm one of those too.

5. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

I mean think how good the Germans are ...... They still won't put a compulsory speed limit on the Autobahn network, only a recommended correct top speed of 130 kph. There is now a ban on Euro 4 diesels going into Stuttgart city centre (other cities pending), due to problems of pollution made worse by geography, it lies in a dip. €80 fine if you happen to be stopped by the police, they aren't actively looking for diesels. There is plenty of opposition to this, citing the ban as discriminatory and an imposition on the liberty of diesel drivers there. I couldn't drive there either, but in view of the pollution I wouldn't want to, that is what matters rather than my personal inconvenience. :angel:

I have some sympathy with those who object to nanny state intefering in everyday life, but if lives are being threatened by pollution, such as soot, doing something about this is more akin to the nurse state, telling you to look after your health. In any event, the freedom the car undoubtledy usually gives goes into reverse when city centres are chock full every day, and it might even be quicker to walk if you can take your own air supply with you.

In all the diesel pollution scandal here, no-one has ever suggested a speed limit for diesels, say 120 kph on the Autobahn and perhaps 90 on major roads. I have little doubt this would reduce pollution. I don't think anyone has ever died from driving a bit slower.

Blue Hills and Andy in Germany like this.
  6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Our council has declared a climate emergency. No climate improving initiatives have come from them in the month since, good job it's not an errrrr emergency then...

7. lane

lane Über Member

Yeah think your right - best just forget about it now

8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Ah the accord of 1371

9. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Do you in fact mean reformed eco - criminals??

Cos if so, I could really do with an apology, maybe not from you personally cos I know it wasnt just so much yourself, doing, and saying the
    things.

It's more that after thirty years plus of being pilloried, mocked, and generally marginalised, as a tree hugging, eco warrior nut- job, it would appear that the mainstream is finally catching onto the need for us to do all this more planet friendly, stuff.

And that we might have a (really big) problem, Houston??

It's not that I really want to say "We told you so"

It's more that, you know,

We did kinda tell you so.

And you did sort of ignore us..

Or worse..

And that was a bit (very) annoying.

I'd still rather wake up tomorrow, and discover that all that worry was for nowt.

But that doesn't seem very likely does it??

10. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I don't believe you :laugh::laugh:

mudsticks likes this.
  11. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

On positive things in britain drago, also worth remembering that london has had a congestion zone, charging folk to drive into the central area, for donkey's years. An italian visitor found this almost beyond comprehension. They had heard ugly rumours about it but on visiting asked "is it really true?". Many many young londoners have turned their back on the car, happy to use public transport, walk and cycle.

mudsticks likes this.
  12. PK99

PK99 Guru

Key word in the question is immediate.

The only immediate options are which available power stations to turn up.

13. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Busted...

I know I shouldn't be angry, and p*ssed off, and want to clobber someone over all this. ..

Cos that's not what nice tree hugging hippies, like me, are supposed to want to do.

But our glorious planet having been trashed by a bunch of hubristic, greedy, uncaring, deliberately ignorant folk who thought that we could subvert the laws of nature.

Is a bit annoying tbh.

Bromptonaut likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Yep, reformed eco criminal is very apt. I'm still an eco criminal, but I'm now better than most. I still have a fridge and a TV, but I try and practice what I preach to at least to some degree. Tiny, minimally polluting car which I use as little as possible, no raping the planet to provide me with a new smartphone every year, wear the same Y fronts for weeks on end to cut down on detergent pollution...

You wont catch me flying across the Atlantic to tell a crowd of people they should fly less, and then fly home afterwards. Those are the real eco criminals, the psychopaths even. They brazenly hide in plain sight and the well intentioned but ultimately easily led eco hippies seem to fall for it.

Blimey. I seem to have started a discussion about societies attitudes to the environment where it contradicts their comfort and convenience. Well, not a bad discussion to have.

gavroche and raleighnut like this.
  15. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

I don't see what's wrong with the fridge d rago - I keep mine on the cold side so I suppose it uses more power than it might. But that means I can cut my food waste to near zero - in fact I only usually have to chuck stuff when I go away and get the planning wrong. Also means I use very very little boxed food.

Drago and mudsticks like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice