Different attitudes

mudsticks

Veteran
I live in the country, and despite all the done idle excuses about time and distance I hear I get about just dandy on the bike for most journeys.
I'd like to do more country miles by bike too, but I need to transport lots of stuff for both my jobs, and live in hilly Devon.

Maybe an electric bike with trailer, is the way to go one day.

Mind you I can still get up our local Peak Hill, sitting down, on an analogue bike, so perhaps there's life in the old whippet yet.

Proper hot today.

IMG_20190707_125652_072.jpg

Last edited:

Phaeton

Guru

OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Nothing is better than a Smart. The bunny rabbits smile, the trees breathe a sigh of relieve, and visits to the petrol station are actually quite tiresome because most visits a young lady will inevitably come and start chatting about the car. More than one has asked to be taken for a ride!

Something interesting happened, and it's been given very little press coverage.

The Mayor of Madrid suspended the cities low emissions zone, thus allowing people to drive in blithely and pollute as they see fit. As a result, pollution levels have shot up in just a few days. Now, this has caused an outrage, and the Mayor has been forced to reinstate it by the court. Not just an outrage from cycling groups, or from environmental groups. No, a massive, all encompassing outrage from Joe Public at large.

The judge said "the health of Madrid" was more important than "the right to travel by car" and reversed the decision, which I think is an absolutely wonderful sentiment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48886405

Not a big deal on it's own. However, pause a moment to reflect, and think about what would happen is something similar happened here. The bone idle lazy car driving masses would be straight in their SUVs, and Greenpeace might whittle a hit, Cycling UK might wring their hands in annoyance, Chris Boardman might roll his eyes, but little else will happen. The mainstream public at large, the Daily Mail reading masses, that Ill informed idiot Edmund King, they'd be popping champagne corks and celebrating.

Just goes to show how backward and self absorbed our society is compared to some of our more enlightened continental neighbours.
Change the location to a US state that had previously had an ordinance on clean air in cities and you would see pickup trucks with modded exhausts "rollin coal" to celebrate a great victory against the "p*ssy left and their cuck laws". The motor car seems to have taken the place of the pitchfork for the new peasantry.

Nice thoughts but the problem with the last, unless some clever finessing was used, it would discriminate in favour of Londoners etc versus folks in the country who often need a car.
Only if you made it a one size fits all charge (which I appreciate politicians are quite capable of doing...) If you only do it in areas of a certain population density, for example, then rural areas will be fine. Also as @Poacher says, only businesses with more than ten employee parking spaces will have to pay.

Only if you made it a one size fits all charge (which I appreciate politicians are quite capable of doing...) If you only do it in areas of a certain population density, for example, then rural areas will be fine. Also as @Poacher says, only businesses with more than ten employee parking spaces will have to pay.
Not arguing with you, but that's where it gets very complicated. Indeed.

Top Bottom