Different tyre widths- problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shippers

As happens, my back tyre has turned itself into an easily punctured slick version of itself long before the front one, so I've invested in some new ones. Thing is, I've only changed the back one; from a 700x25 to a 700x23, whilst leaving the 700x25 on the front. (Still got some life left in it.)

They're both Specialized all conditions; the new ones have a better tpi rating, and were a reasonable price (2 for £45 from mailordercycles.com, price matched by Evans) But a total swine to get them on- 2 tubes destroyed by pinchies!

Anyway, point being is the difference in tyre width going to cause any problem at all, or am I likely not to notice it?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No problem whatsoever.

Until recently I rode with a 25mm on the back and a 23mm on the front and tbh I hardly noticed that. In fact if you were to buy the conti Force/ Attack pair they have 22 on the front and 24mm on the rear, theres scientific reasoning to it :wacko:

Sheldon does a quite good article on tyres, half way down is his section on 'Mixing/ Matching Tires' (US Spelling)

For separate safety reasons I like to put the new tyre on the front and shift the old tyre to the rear.

Edit: Spelling :blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

Until recently I road with a 25mm on the back and a 23mm on the front and tbh I hardly noticed that. In fact if you were to buy the conti Force/ Attack pair they have 22 on the front and 24mm on the rear, theres scientific reasoning to it :wacko:

Sheldon does a quite good article on tyres, half way down is his section on 'Mixing/ Matching Tires' (US Spelling)

For separate safety reasons I like to put the new tyre on the front and shift the old tyre to the rear.

Same here, I buy a new new tyre in the autumn and put it on the front then put the old front on the back. This year I have been using these
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html and they have been very good. Of the three flats I've had this year two have been rim related, I had a new front wheel on the fixed about christmas time and had problems with a bur on one of the spoke holes, and the third one was due to a faulty valve.

I've had mixed tyre sizes (23 & 25mm) on the two wheels: no problem at all provided you have the clearance! (for me it was very close: I'd bought the 25s by mistake but decided to use them anyway). If you change the size at the front, you might want to re-calibrate your computer if you use one. :thumbsup:

Tips on getting an obstinate new tyre on the rim (puncture resistant brands are the worst). Practice getting it on and off the rim several times, using tyre levers but without the inner tube. Stretch the tyre by hooking your feet in it and tugging the other side with your hands. When making the final effort, make sure the bead of the tyre is seated down in the well of the rim, all the way round. Use plenty of French chalk. Have the inner partially inflated, but not too much. When tackling the last bit of bead, it may be that you can see the inner trapped between bead and rim: this is the problem: so carefully ease out a different section of bead on another part of the rim, then pop the original section in using your fingers. The newly 'exposed' section will hopefully not have the inner trapped under it, so you can carefully use tyre levers. At least: that's worked for me.

Or get a special tool for the job. Park Tools do one I believe.

OP
OP
shippers

shippers

Top advice from everyone there!
It probably makes sense to have the wider tyre on the back too. When I summon up the courage I'll swap them over.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom