Digital Camera Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I have a Fujifilm camera. Last week my laptop's HD crashed completely and refused to do anything, all I got was the white screen of death. I used my external HD, re-installed everything and my laptop works well, in fact, works better with the external hard drive than it ever did with the HD that was part of the laptop.

Anyhoo, the software that I used to download images from my camera has disappeared with the original hard drive. All I get when I plug in my camera to my laptop is the message 'Communication Error'. The camera works fine btw.

What can I do to be able to download images from my camera onto my laptop (I have an Apple MacBook with Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.7) I have tried the fujifilm website, which had a download for the type of camera I've got, but the download is not installing onto my laptop.

Anyone have any idea what I should do? Ta.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm completely non technical ... but presumably it stores the photos on a card on the camera ... if all else fails with the software side of things could you not buy a card reader - I don't think they are really expensive (we have a couple and I'm sure they were £20 or less) and then just use that instead to get the photos off the camera.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Potentially down to the fact that the software want's to install on a boot drive - i.e. an internal - may not properly recognise the external as an install option ?

Hi,

I use Fuji cameras, but I don't use the downloader that comes on the CD with the camera. I use a PC and Windows Explorer to connect to the camera - The Apple should have something similar.

All you need to do is treat the camera like an external drive (which is what it is).

Hope that helps...............

If you don't want to use iPhoto which will could do the download for you, there's also Image Capture which works fine (downloads images and cleans camera memory after download). Both already installed on your mac. Or as other's have mentioned, plug in your camera to the mac and the camera should appear as a new drive on your desk top. You can just open the drive and copy images to your computer.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Thanks folks.

I couldn't get image capture to work before, it wouldn't pick up the camera, but it seems to work now. Either I didn't have the camera plugged in properly or I opened image capture before plugging the camera in, I plugged the camera in first and then opened image capture, it works now anyway.

I will look at a card reader as well.

Ta muchness.

I use an imac and a fuji finepix S5100

I connect the camera and turn it on to the view pictures setting on the camera.

I can now open iPhoto and import the pictures

or

access the camera as if it were an external hardrive / usb stick, dragging and dropping them onto the computer.

Top Bottom