Dinner???????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Haven't done one for a while!

Tonight I will be mostly having:-

Homemade Chicken Kievs I made last night
Home made ratatouille
New potatoes with rosemary
Cherry cheesecake
A bottle of red (probably Chianti to go with the ratatouille)
With a bottle of Pellegrino

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Greedo by name...;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
No idea what I'll have. There's a frozen chicken kiev in the freezer - probably ought to defrost that before cooking though. Or some sausages. Or half a tin of tuna left over from last night.

No wine, for sure. It'll be tea, or water, depending on whether I get in and have a cuppa before I cook, or during cooking/while eating.

My life is just one heady round of uncertainty and excitement.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I like to cook proper food for Uncle James each night and seeing as I'm doing 20-30 miles per day I'm pretty hungry most of the time so do generous portions. Tonight is probably chicken wrapped in Schwarzwälder Schinken with a cream cheese & herb filling (made by my fair hands) with potatoes and other veg.

Our next door neighbours, who grow all their own organic veg, delivered us two celeriac yesterday. I've never eaten it in my life - what do I do with it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Auntie Helen said:
I like to cook proper food for Uncle James each night and seeing as I'm doing 20-30 miles per day I'm pretty hungry most of the time so do generous portions. Tonight is probably chicken wrapped in Schwarzwälder Schinken with a cream cheese & herb filling (made by my fair hands) with potatoes and other veg.

Our next door neighbours, who grow all their own organic veg, delivered us two celeriac yesterday. I've never eaten it in my life - what do I do with it?

Mu mum usually boils it with potato and does mash - I think you can mash it alone, but adding potato is a nicer texture (they can be stringy, if old). I suspect a dollop of grain mustard mixed in might also be nice, if you like that. Just peel them, chop into chunks and boil 'til tender enough.

"Schwarzwälder Schinken"? Black Forest something... Ham?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We've had a bottle of milk leak so I'm going to make rice pudding for tea tonight. I don't know how many years it is since I made it. In fact does anyone want to remind me how... I want it to end up with a skin on the top.

longers

Legendary Member
User482 said:
I've already had my dinner...

Me too.

I made a HUGE* pot of Leek and Potato soup last night so will be having some of that for my tea with a baguette and then apple pie for afters.

*16 pints of the stuff ;)

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Lovely veg.

You can do loads with it.

You can roast it, mash it, turn it into celeriac soup and even use it in salads if you slice it really thin, make rostis as well.

Peel it just before you cook it though as it can discolour

Auntie Helen said:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Arch said:
Mu mum usually boils it with potato and does mash - I think you can mash it alone, but adding potato is a nicer texture (they can be stringy, if old). I suspect a dollop of grain mustard mixed in might also be nice, if you like that. Just peel them, chop into chunks and boil 'til tender enough.

"Schwarzwälder Schinken"? Black Forest something... Ham?
So is it sort-of like swede, then, which I often mix with mash?

Schwarzwälder Schinken is indeed Black Forest Ham, it's a bit like parma ham and is wonderfully flavoursome. Can be bought from your local Lidl (although sadly not Aldi). I do a monthly 30 mile cycle ride to Clacton and back to buy 5-6 packets of the Schinken and some specific cream cheese. The locals occasionally ask me where I've come from and I say (and they realise it's 15 miles), and they ask me what I'm buying and I say 'ham and cheese' and they seem to think I'm barking. It's worth it, though.

KristyA

Tonight spicy beef stir-fry, and tomorrow Chilli-con-carne. The beef is cut into strips and is marinating in garlic, ginger, soy sauce and chopped chillies as we speak and the Chilli is simmering away and will taste pukka when warmed up tomorrow. I appear to have made enough chilli to feed the whole street though so Mr A can take some to work with him for lunch tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day...........

thomas

the tank engine
summerdays said:
We've had a bottle of milk leak so I'm going to make rice pudding for tea tonight. I don't know how many years it is since I made it. In fact does anyone want to remind me how... I want it to end up with a skin on the top.

Just stick some cooked rice, milk, nutmeg and sugar in a pan, heat it through, stir it, then stick it in the oven for a bit.

That's what I did when I had too much rice a few weeks back. Seemed to kind of work ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
longers said:
Me too.

I made a HUGE* pot of Leek and Potato soup last night so will be having some of that for my tea with a baguette and then apple pie for afters.

*16 pints of the stuff ;)

Blimey. 16 pints is a lot. How many days will it take you to finish?

I never think to make soup, funny, we used to often have it at home, lentil soup or chowder or veg soup, especially. I just never think of it as an option.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mash up with boiled potatoes... very nice.
Or make into a Leek and Celeriac Soup

Auntie Helen said:

Top Bottom