Disappointing Critical Mass tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Went along to the London Critical Mass for the first time in a few months, and was very disappointed to see that the thugs seem to have taken over now it's no longer policed.

I saw numerous examples of cyclists deliberately winding-up motorists, in several instances swearing at them.

There was no excuse for the car driver who ran over the rear wheel of a bike blocking his path, but I wasn't at all surprised to see it given the provocation going on.

I left the ride at Holborn as I didn't want to be associated with the tone of the ride.

It was particularly disappointing given a large turnout, the vast majority of whom were out for a pleasant good-humoured ride. To have that spoiled by a loud and aggressive minority of troublemakers is a great shame. :-(

Ben

joolsybools

Thanks for the info, I considered going for the first time tonite so good to have some feedback. Anyone else been?

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

It used to be a really fun ride. There were always one or two out to cause aggro, but they were vastly outnumbered, and the large police presence (albeit mostly off-duty cops riding in their own time) meant that things rarely got out of hand.

I'm guessing that, after the attempt to ban the ride, cops have been told not to participate - at least, not in uniform. That has left the door open for the bullies to try to do the same job, but in a very different manner. :-(

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Last Friday of the month, from outside the NFT cafe. Theoretically leaves at 6.30pm, but I've never known it leave before 7pm.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We came away early (having seen Radius and Emm). I thought the intro by the twat in the pink castle was crass. What did you think, Ben?

CM has changed, and not for the better. The policing was a boon, if only the majority of riders knew it.

And, as an aside, Oliver Schick, you are a naughty man...(and his accomplice, Mr. Des
O'D just as naughty, and will be doing TEC duty...)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Radius said:
Hang on, you mean the German Oliver with long hair?
yes. Fear not. I have the warmest regard for Oliver. Why - he beat me in to second place one year on the Dunwich Dynamo....(and, on a more serious note, he's one of the few people who sees that the planning process is at the heart of creating a convivial, cycling city)

He confessed to 'recycling' my routes....

Radius

SHREDDER
No no, I didn't mean anything untoward, just that Emmet knows him from a LFGSS ride, oh the joys of cycle networking!

Top Bottom