Distance from home to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hollyhillian

I'm sure it's been asked before but ,how far do you cycle into work if you start at 9.00am and is it different if you start at 8.00am?

I start work at 8.00 and as it's only a nice 5 miles it's no problem to leave at 7.20 and be sat at my desk by 7.50. Changing into work clothes included in that time.

I guess the time that people allow depends on what you do and the facilities available at work but interested to know what distance others do and how early you leave .

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Start at 9, 14.5 miles, leave at 7:30, 50 - 60 mins commute time.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'm due in at 0815, so I set off at 0700. Its a touch under 17 miles if I don't get lost. Andy does not function well in the mornings, and its not uncommon for me to spend half an hour faffing around the kitchen waking the household before leaving 20 mins late.

The nice thing about riding into work is its by far the quickest way across town. If I attempted to drive it, I'd still be in traffic at > 0900. If I take the train, its an extra half hour plus £13 taken off the n+1 fund.

The less nice things are the 230+ metres of vertical ascent mid way, negotiating with repmobiles on the A4, and "local" traffic in Streatham.

But hey, its all good training.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Usually start just after 9 after dropping off the youngest at school. Occasionally have to start earlier and arrange someone else to take him in. If I have a later start, even a 15 minute delay setting off makes the journey much better.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
20.1 miles, I allow 2 hours for ride and shower and change(fastest ride time is 1hr20mins so far), best times to leave are before 0630 or after 0900. Worst time is leaving about 0730-0800, hit lots of school run traffic, find that worse than any other.

JamesM

I start at 08:30, I set off at 07:15 for my 14 mile commute along the canal tow path - an hour riding, 15 minutes to get changed and in case of delays.

There are no showers at work so I just have a quick wash down in the toilets.

Going by train takes about 45 minutes, depending on connections but costs £4.55 a day.

garrilla

I have no official start time but I like to be at my desk and in flow by 10am. Usually I leave with my kids when they go off to school on their rides at 8.20. I then cycle 16 miles in about 50ish minutes depending on the weather, traffic and 47 junctions I may have to stop at. I've usuall showered and caffiened before sitting down for a day's slog.

colinr

A measly 3 and a bit miles to be changed and at my desk for 9. Takes 15-20 minutes, it's quicker if I get up earlier but I'd rather stay in bed.

ajb

Not far compared to some of you people,
About 2 miles, uphill all the way, takes me 10mins, start between 4 & 5am
Going home is great, about 4mins, finish between 12 & 1pm.

Alan.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
15.5 miles. I leave about 90 minutes to get in and changed. I start 30 minutes earlier next week, so I should be quicker as the first downhill is nose to tail school run so I go down slower than I can get up the other side. :smile:

Top Bottom