Distance training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I mentioned in another thread that I'm preparing for LEL next year but struggling, currently, with the big mileage rides at the moment. I'm finding 130km is about my limit at the moment. Odd thing is, I've ridden several 150 and 200km audaxes in previous years in the UK.

A review of my training log shows I am faster now, only by an average of around 3kph, but none-the-less. AND my rides here (in France) are hillier. So I reckon I'm probably knocking myself out even though I don't feel as though I'm really pushing myself any harder than before. It all feels okay at the time. I also ride alone now, UK audaxes were often in company.

So, do I continue as I am and wait to build the strength and endurance for the longer rides OR back off a bit (I'm not sure how I can do that really since, as I say, I'm not aware of pushing myself too hard) and get the mileages up now.

I realise there's probably no 'right or wrong' way here, either would probably work, so I am interested in anecdote and experience here.

The more you ride, the fitter you'll become and you will develop more stamina. It's all about getting the miles in your legs.

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to achieving this. Make sure you have a healthy diet to fuel yourself with.

Tynan

Veteran
ooo I saw the LEL website today by accident today and it looks ****ing heroic stuff, I so want to do something like that, there AND back! wow

nothing else to add of any use I'm afraid

sort it out Yello, if someone like you is struggling, what hope had a 25 mile a day commuter like me ever got?

Noodley

Dayvo said:
The more you ride, the fitter you'll become and you will develop more stamina. It's all about getting the miles in your legs.

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to achieving this. Make sure you have a healthy diet to fuel yourself with.

What he said...

...Healthy diet? There's a thought :wacko::smile:

OP
OP
Y

yello

I could probably have a closer look at my diet. It could be protein light (we don't eat much meat) but it's otherwise good.

I know there are no short cuts and it's about getting the miles in. I just seem to be stuck at this 130km barrier. I haven't managed over that in nearly a year now. Hmmmm, maybe I've built myself a mental barrier!?

I'm planning a ride for later in the week, around the 150km mark. I'll let you know how I get on. But fret not Tynan, I WILL get it sorted. I want to do LEL and it's only every 4 years. And, as someone said on the mid-life crisis thread, you have to do the things whilst you can!

Fiona N

Veteran
Have you thought about taking part in sportif/audax etc? I often find that being with a group encourages me to get over the 100 mile barrier when I've been hovering around 80 - 90 miles on my own. The other thing I've done in the past is to cycle to somewhere about 200km away to give me an objective. Then if I'm really keen I cycle back the next day :biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yello

Thanks Fiona. I've ridden a sportive and a randonée here, 100 and 130k respectively. I used to regularly ride audax in the UK and agree that it's a great way to get the miles in. Sadly there are no audaxes around my way... a couple of permanents but that's my lot (there's a 450k perm around here that I've got earmarked for later in the year).

So I pretty much have to ride alone and work out my own routes. But I don't find that a problem at all. I do like your idea of planning a long 'out' ride though! Getting home must be the best motivation to do double the mileage!!

Bigtallfatbloke

I rode 140km earlier this year, it bloody nearly killed me towards the end. I had a fully loaded tour bike as well.
Mentally I found the thing that got me home that day was to break the trip down into smaller sections in my head...so I was aying things like...th enext town is just a hours ride I can do that (blocking out the rest of the ride completely until I had to face it). This and a big bag of jelly babies!

Tynan

Veteran
every four years?

offs

that'll make me 47 next time, jeez

Look at some of Joe Friel's stuff - http://www.trainingbible.com/
Use heart rate zones for training. Do long, slow rides at low heart rates to build base endurance, recruit slow twitch fibres and get your body used to using fat as a fuel.
Do harder work to raise your lactate threshold.
Take the correct amount of rest as you get your strength when recovering from, not when doing the work.
Maybe do some appropriate weight training.
If you keep getting fatigued early and you're not in the first flush of youth see a doctor and maybe get a blood check.

monnet

Guru
It could in part be due to riding alone. I personally never feel I can ride much over 100k on my own but in a group I can keep going all day. I've done a few solo 100milers as training for sportives and frankly found them the most boring experiences of my life but with other people they fair slip by.

Top Bottom