DIY Electric Bike :D:D:D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Forget batteries to heavy and limited range , go the hole hog Go Pulse jet no moving parts easy maintenance fuel from any diy store and 80 mph.:thumbsup:

Or a regular jet. Small engines must be available because they are used on model jet planes. A couple of those strapped on to your rear carrier should provide all the umph needed. Then again probably a bit pricey. I'd love to try it though.

Wobbly John

Veteran
We made a starter motor powered trike (no pedals) several years ago. It was recumbent-ish delta format with drive to one wheel only. We used a Mini starter motor with the 'throw-out' inertia bit removed. You need leads that will take the 30-40ish amps and keep the leads short. we used a starter solenoid with an on\off push switch on the handlebars.

We tried a couple of diferent drive methods:

First off, we used a 9 tooth sprocket on the motor, and (i think) a 42 tooth BMX chainring as a sprocket, filed out and welded onto the normal sprocket of a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub in a 20" wheel. - I think we ended up pringle-ing the wheel with the cornering forces and I know we split the 9 tooth motor sprocket. :angry: I think the welds were going on the chainring/sprocket joint as well.

Secondly, we used a different 9 tooth motor sprocket (from a lawn mower) with a chain running to a sturmey archer hub with the biggest sprocket Sturmey used to do - probably 28 tooth. The Sturmey hub had been taken out of a wheel, and emery cloth glued round the body. The hub then drove the rear wheel by friction drive on the tyre. it worked better than we imagined. :biggrin:

The starter motor could only be run for a few minutes at a time as they have no cooling and we burnt our first one out. We were getting speeds of about 20mph from each setup.

You could use a dynamo off the old Mini or Morris 1000 - Unlike the more modern alternators, they could be run as a motor and had a fan and, I think bearings that were designed for more constant running.

The starter motors we used were very heavy. If I intended to build something to give a 'bit of a boost' to a bike, I'd try something smaller, such as a radiator fan motor (a 1" to 3/4" drum on it's axle would be the right size to give frition drive onto the tyre - we built an early 'Robot wars' robot with this type of drive to each wheel) or something from an electric scooter or golf bag caddy.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Forget batteries to heavy and limited range , go the hole hog Go Pulse jet no moving parts easy maintenance fuel from any diy store and 80 mph.:thumbsup:

Like this, you mean? :evil:

ajet2028.jpg

Video

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh and thanks fossyant I loled... I get around alright would just be nice to have something a bit more punchy. I'm a fairly strong cyclist after some 20 years of riding literally everywhere, but if I can make it go faster, well.... it has to be done really xD

Faster - just get bigger legs :tongue: and work on the heart lungs. Motors pah :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It gets better. !

Heh !

Jet engine - like what Jeremy Clarkson popped on a bike !

mark c

Über Member
yep wobbley john thats the one, only real downside is the noise it will make. It will wake the dead at 4.00 am on the commute to work. Thought of jet engine but kits are a bit pricey, That cheap chinese Pulse jet cost a fraction and has a higher HP out put :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

lmlPEZlml

Cheers john thats really insightful, starter motor and some kind of tread directly on the wheel was something else I'd considered, if it works that well I might go for that method after all!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Electric wheelchair motors. Their already geared down, come with a driven axle on which you can mount your bike wheel.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Electric wheelchair motors. Their already geared down, come with a driven axle on which you can mount your bike wheel.

How would you mount the wheel onto the motor axle? Would the motor axle then be the only way the wheel was mounted to the frame?

Top Bottom