Do BB's of different types fit in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
What I am trying to say is can I remove an old Square taper spindle, bearings and cups and replace it with one of these new shimano or campag thingies?

Any shared knowledge gratefully received.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Yes, as long as the new set has the right threading.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The Campag one is called Ultra Torque 9/10 or 11spd and all you need are the cranks and two bottom bracket cups (which are sometimes sold separately). B/B's 67 -68mm.

PpPete

Legendary Member
When you say " one of these new shimano or campag thingies" are you talking about cartridge BB or outboard bearings?

If it's a cartridge bearing you can fit either square taper or splined (assuming you have the appropriate cranks). It's an easy job - but make sure you know whether you have English threading or Italian and get the right kind of cartridge.

You also need to get the right spindle length or your chainline could be out.

Sheldon has all the details.

If it's the modern "outboard" bearings like the Ultra - Torque or the Shimano Hollowtech II then you don't need to worry about spindle length, but you "should" get the BB shell tapped & faced by an LBS before fitting.

GilesM

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
If it's the modern "outboard" bearings like the Ultra - Torque or the Shimano Hollowtech II then you don't need to worry about spindle length, but you "should" get the BB shell tapped & faced by an LBS before fitting.

To be honest, I don't think this is really that important, I know my hard tail frame is not perfect, no problems so far, that was about 2 years ago, I actually bought a BB facing tool with the intention of doing it one day, but as it has worked well, I've not bothered.

Top Bottom