Do cats miss you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...when you go away?

I had always assumed that cats, unlike dogs, did not 'pine' for their owners. Recently, Mrs B and I have been away for the weekend twice, both times leaving our cat in the safe hands of our grown up (living at home) kids. Both times, the cat has been sick at least once, literally, after feeding each day we've been away. Both times, upon our return, the cat has been absolutely fine again.

The kids have fed the cat the same food in the same quantities and at the same times that we would have had we been there.

I have a theory. The cat, because Mrs B and I feed it most of the time, sees us as providors and feels safe in our presence. Thus, it takes its time eating when we are around. Conversely, when we are 'missing', it feels less secure and decides to bolt its food down as fast as possible, with the consequent spectacular upchucking outcome.

Any cat owners (or amateur animal psychologists) with opinions?

it's just messing with your mind, it knows you post here.

L

bonj2

Cats are very intelligent so probably. Although they are actually quite content to be left to their own devices, so although they might be curious as to where you've gone, they probably won't be particularly emotionally distressed by it. Obivously if you put them in a cattery they won't like it as much because they like their routine, and they wouldn't like a strange environment aswell as one where they're in relatively much greater captivity. But it won't upset them too much, it's probably just a bit like going on big brother for them but without the fun tasks, crowds and prize money.

bonj2

beanzontoast said:
...when you go away?

I had always assumed that cats, unlike dogs, did not 'pine' for their owners. Recently, Mrs B and I have been away for the weekend twice, both times leaving our cat in the safe hands of our grown up (living at home) kids. Both times, the cat has been sick at least once, literally, after feeding each day we've been away. Both times, upon our return, the cat has been absolutely fine again.

The kids have fed the cat the same food in the same quantities and at the same times that we would have had we been there.

I have a theory. The cat, because Mrs B and I feed it most of the time, sees us as providors and feels safe in our presence. Thus, it takes its time eating when we are around. Conversely, when we are 'missing', it feels less secure and decides to bolt its food down as fast as possible, with the consequent spectacular upchucking outcome.

Any cat owners (or amateur animal psychologists) with opinions?

Don't worry about it being sick. Cats deliberately make themselves sick to get rid of fur in their stomach, they eat grass which they don't actually like for this purpose.

My mum's got a cat and he doesn't care who feeds him as long as he gets his food! He also constantly miaows from the point at which you're getting his food out the drawer to when you actually give it to him, even though he obviously knows you're going to give him food - as if to say 'come on put it out faster i'm hungry!'

Cats don't really care too much if you don't feed them or show them any attention unlike dogs that will cry and annoy you.

Cats are more independent and self sufficient but still as friendly as dogs, dogs do have more intelligence tho and are more loyal.

I like Cats more myself :thumbsup:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
I've missed quite a few cats...but my aim's getting better.

both my cats are sitting on my lap and have just read your comment - you're f*cked FF, they'll get you :thumbsup:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The cat goes cranky if i go away for a few days. Marches round the house meowing and being stroppy.
Normally spends quite a bit of time attacking the furniture just to let me know he can.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Noodley said:
both my cats are sitting on my lap and have just read your comment - you're f*cked FF, they'll get you :?:
Every cat now that looks at me is gonna scare me sh1tless...xx(xx(:thumbsup:

Just leave my Guinea-pig and Goldfish out of it you hear...it's just me and the cats OK :thumbsup::angry::?:

domd1979

Veteran
Depends on the cat. I don't think any cats like being left for any length of time (say greater than a day). If you had a Siamese you wouldn't hear the last of it... They chunter enough if you go out for the day, let alone leave them at a cattery for a fortnight, as they get quite attached to people and like the company.

bonj said:
Cats are very intelligent so probably. Although they are actually quite content to be left to their own devices, so although they might be curious as to where you've gone, they probably won't be particularly emotionally distressed by it. Obivously if you put them in a cattery they won't like it as much because they like their routine, and they wouldn't like a strange environment aswell as one where they're in relatively much greater captivity. But it won't upset them too much, it's probably just a bit like going on big brother for them but without the fun tasks, crowds and prize money.

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Every cat now that looks at me is gonna scare me sh1tless...xx(xx(:thumbsup:

Just leave my Guinea-pig and Goldfish out of it you hear...it's just me and the cats OK :thumbsup::angry::?:

It's okay, the female cat has convinced the male cat you're not worth it :?:

Top Bottom