Do I? Don't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

OK. Talk me out of it! Persuade me this would be a total waste of money!

I have always been a mountain biker first and foremost! However, since buying my new MTB earlier this year, I have slicked up my very old Carrera which I now use for commuting. I was stunned at the difference slicks made and so now I use the Carrera for longer rides and am probably going to start doing some light touring. I am finding that I am enjoying the road rides on the Carrera more and more…….and although I am broke, I looked at the Giant FCR 3 at the weekend. It’s lovely. To cut a very long story short, I could get it for around £280 on Cyclexpress at the moment as hubbie has been offered a further discount on any purchases.

What should I do? Will I notice that much difference? I only want it for road rides around Norfolk – hopefully doing 50 miles ish on a day ride. It is worth the money or should I give the touring a go first and see if I like that in which case a proper tourer bike would maybe be a better investment (as not sure the Carrera will be up to the job!).

Tell me ‘NO’. Please?!?

frog

NO!

Now thats got that out of the way you can go out and buy it! :biggrin:

Definitely no. I was in the same position a few years ago trying to convert an MTB into a road bike and I ended up going out and getting a road bike and having a wonderful time on it. You wouldn't want to end up like me would you?

wafflycat

How tall are you JaneyB? If you're not too far off 5'6" you're similar to me and you're more than welcome to pop over to my place & try out tourer/road bike/recumbent...

Keith Oates

Janner
On NO account should you turn down the chance of the FCR3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wafflycat

rich p said:
Does the FCR take a rack? You'll probably need one even if it's only light touring.

On my roadbike, if I'm using that for a full day ride, I use one of these and one of the specific bags for it. It's ideal. On my tourer I have a 'proper' rear rack and then use 'proper' panniers or a more substantial racktop bag.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
AFAICR FRCs do take racks.
Not the best bet for everything-including-kitchen-sink touring, but for lightweight hotel or youth-hostel based tours they should be OK.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
wafflycat said:
On my roadbike, if I'm using that for a full day ride, I use one of these and one of the specific bags for it. It's ideal. On my tourer I have a 'proper' rear rack and then use 'proper' panniers or a more substantial racktop bag.

Does it not have braze ons for a proper rack, Waffly?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
wafflycat said:
No it's a road (race) bike. My tourer does have though, hence it has a traditional rack on it.

That's what I thought but FWIW my Spesh Allez has got braze ons although I don't know how it would ride with a rack and panniers. It would also cost more than £290

Top Bottom