Do I need carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Right - I need some help :smile:.

I posted a thread yesterday as I had been to my LBS to look for a road bike and came out pretty convinced that something like the Giant Defy 2.5 would do the job.

Thing is I will be going riding with people who all ride carbon framed bikes and I also saw in the shop a Scott CR1 Team and Giant TCR Advanced 2 and fell in love with them both. :laugh:

The dilemna I have is whether one of the above, or similar, is really worth my spending an additional £800ish on or whether I will regret not doing if I don't. I won't be riding competitively in race terms but rather goiing on fast ish paced rides of up to 60 miles at weekend plus training/fitness on my own. Is one of the carbon offerings going to be worth the extra for me?

And if it is which is the better bike? :wacko::biggrin:

Great forum - only found it yesterday and thanks in advance for all help.

Cheers

Paul

yello

You don't need carbon but you might want it!

To be honest, only you can decide whether it'll be worth it. Carbon gives a different ride but whether you'll prefer it will be up to you SO I'll give the same advice that I'd give to anyone with such a query - if you want it and you can afford it then go for it.

rjkc600

i personally couldnt feel a huge weight difference between the specialized Roubaix carbon and the Allez 700.

I am aware that the roubaix is lighter, but for me if i cant 'feel' the difference then id not spend the extra cash.

Go for the more affordable option IMO.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

The weight difference between, say, the Giant Defy 2.5 and TCR Advanced 3 is about 1.7kg and to me that's not particularly significant. The carbon bikes are certainly better spec'd out it's just that £1500 feels like a staggering amount of money to pay for a bike for a non competitive cyclist.

When you say it's a different ride what differences will I notice?

Thanks again.

Paul

yello

Paulq said:
When you say it's a different ride what differences will I notice?

That's a good question. Can you get test rides and compare?

Some say that carbon is stiffer but absorbs bumps and jolts better, a more comfortable ride. Some say it is simply faster than alu. You may notice those things or you may not. There's only one way to find out.

I personally wouldn't buy carbon myself but that's only because I'd do other things with the money but if it were money no object then I would definitely have one... a Cannondale Synapse!

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

yello said:
That's a good question. Can you get test rides and compare?

Some say that carbon is stiffer but absorbs bumps and jolts better, a more comfortable ride. Some say it is simply faster than alu. You may notice those things or you may not. There's only one way to find out.

I personally wouldn't buy carbon myself but that's only because I'd do other things with the money but if it were money no object then I would definitely have one... a Cannondale Synapse!

Hmmm I don't think I can test ride which is a shame. I am getting the impression that I should stick to alu. I have ridden alu bikes before and they have been 'ok' - I just hope that £600 ish on a Giant Defy 2.5 is a good investment.

I really am torn and after sleep I may think differently tomorrow. :wacko:

Cheers

Paul

monnet

Guru
I've just upgraded from alu to carbon. A substantial upgrade and I definitely noticed the difference, it's so light! BUT... the difference mainly comes in high speed training rides/ races (ie at average speeds of around 25mph). At regular speeds I don't really notice the difference and I certainly think if I weren't at the sportier end of cycling I wouldn't notice the difference as much (acceleration out of corners, handling at speed etc).

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Chrisz said:
Go for whichever one makes you feel good :wacko:

+1

I didnt actually test ride any carbon bikes when buying my new one at christmas. I knew I couldnt really justify spending the extra money on a roubaix or tarmac just yet and I didnt want to know what I was missing out on!

But if you can justify or spare the cash go for it!

bonj2

Paulq said:
Right - I need some help :smile:.

I posted a thread yesterday as I had been to my LBS to look for a road bike and came out pretty convinced that something like the Giant Defy 2.5 would do the job.

Thing is I will be going riding with people who all ride carbon framed bikes and I also saw in the shop a Scott CR1 Team and Giant TCR Advanced 2 and fell in love with them both. :laugh:

The dilemna I have is whether one of the above, or similar, is really worth my spending an additional £800ish on or whether I will regret not doing if I don't. I won't be riding competitively in race terms but rather goiing on fast ish paced rides of up to 60 miles at weekend plus training/fitness on my own. Is one of the carbon offerings going to be worth the extra for me?

And if it is which is the better bike? :wacko::biggrin:

Great forum - only found it yesterday and thanks in advance for all help.

Cheers

Paul

well - put it this way: you certainly won't regret doing it if you DO!

Bigtwin

Carbon fork, stays/back triangle and seat post will get you most if not all of the way there for £1k less.

I'm no pedal God, just 1/2 decent club cyclist and triathlete but tried a few bikes and decided that the above did enough and left £££ for quality components and wheels which you really notice every ride.

So I'd say that unless you have dosh a plenty for top spec gear on either frame, go mixed.

In truth, 5lb of tyre pressure in choice of tyre will make as much difference as the frame in most cases. Uuuuuuuh! Did I say that out loud! Ill fate befall me in eternity...

I've been thinking for a long time that my next bike would definitely be carbon, ever since I finished building my Rocky Mountain Team Sc. I don't know when it happened but I now think know that if I had enough dosh to buy a carbon frame I'd actually get a custom Columbus or 953. The attraction is that I'd get to choose every detail, specify every angle, the lugs, the colour, the black to black fade with plum clear coat, the size of the particles in the metal-flake. And steel is forever, you just can't say that about carbon.

There's a small but growing, and significant, move back to high-end steel fuelled by folk who have been riding lightweight aluminum and carbon for years. Witness the success of the 'Hand Built' shows and frame builders taking on staff during this recession.

No-one knows how long carbon frames are supposed to last. Are you going to be happy riding your carbon frame when it's four years old? Nine? 17?

And anyway, if you're actually after lightweight consider; my RM Sc mountain bike frame weighs 2.9lbs, in it's lightest fully geared incarnation it weighed just under 20lbs (3lbs less than my mates Bianchi road bike :snigger: ). The frame might take up the most space but it's the parts which weigh. A bit of thought applied to component selection can easily match or exceed the weight savings promised by a carbon frameset.

Top Bottom