Do I or don't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

One of the problems with leaving home when its dark, and arriving back when its dark is not having the opportunity to check the bike out properly. Yes, I could do it at work, but I'm more interested in my shower and breakfast by that point.

Anyway, earlier today I went out to give the bike a quick once-over, and I spotted this.

dsc00487i.jpg

I don't have a spare chain, nor for that matter a chain tool. I can get them... but not until tomorrow. Do I dare risk riding in tomorrow and fixing it over my lunch break... Or should I drive/catch the bus and fix it when I get home (in the dark)?

thomas

the tank engine
I'd probably drive/bus/train. Not worth getting half way and it snapping IMO. I've no idea if structurally it'll last though.

potsy

Rambler
Kaipaith said:
Eeep. Yes, good point. Car it is then... :wacko:
Good decision Kaipaith,just not worth the risk IMO.Think I'll go and check mine now,you've got me worried posting that pic,how many miles has it done?

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

potsy said:
Good decision Kaipaith,just not worth the risk IMO.Think I'll go and check mine now,you've got me worried posting that pic,how many miles has it done?

About 700, so I'm a little disappointed. However its been quite badly treated over winter - my route features an interesting mix of mud, water and pig poo.

Matthames

Über Member
I think taking the car instead would be a good call. The last thing you want is for the chain to snap, jam into the jockey wheel cage and suck the whole dérailleur mechanism into your wheel when you are halfway between home and work.

I didn't have that problem when I had my chain/gear troubles.

I just fell off twice with many more close calls.

Funnily enough it all started after the first 67 miles of the bike use when I found most of the spokes on the back wheel became alarmingly loose.I had the wheel changed and after that the gears were never the same.Happily fixed now.

Debian

I wouldn't risk it, take the car.

Can you take the bike on a rack? Then you could still fix over lunch and have it all ready for tomorrow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The interesting point of course, is how long it's been like that? I mean, if you've been riding on it like that for a few days, one more probably won't hurt....:blush:

But probably best not to risk it....

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

10 mile commute, but no real chance of rescue should anything happen. Honestly don't know how long its been like that - a week at worst, as it was last weekend that I last cleaned it.

Top Bottom